20 pin psu with 24 pin mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangedrink

Solid State Member
I'm building a pc and I just realised that my 420 W psu has a 20 pin connector cable while my mobo has a 24 pin. My motherboard is a dfi lanparty ut nf 4 ultra d. I was wondering if it is okay to just use an adapter or would I just have to get a new power supply.
I found a post on a dfi website that was ranting and raving that you had to have a 24 pin psu to go with you dfi mobo. Any suggestions?

DFI boards require a lot of power. The minimum requirement is a native 24-pin psu (no adapter) with a minimum of 480W of power. There are enough people on those boards whose problems have been solved by getting a PSU that meets the minimum requirements. Further, if you DO have a problem, DFI won't help you out unless you meet their minimum PSU requirement. There's a Fortron 500W PSU that's frequently recommended if you are on a tight budget. I've got the Enermax Noisetaker 485W PSU that I'm very pleased with.

I suppose you could use an adaptor, but I wouldnt recommend it, and I bet neither would Shibby, or anyone else here for that matter. Like Shibby said, they require alot of power to run, that is why there are 24 pins, so it can get it's needed power. Adaptors just seem like temporary workarounds to me. It's for people who upgraded their MoBo, but cannot yet afford to upgrade to a better PSU or just havent for one reason or another, IMO.

That is false, they are not suitable for the DFI board, the 420 watts is far below the required minimum as well

Just for clarification, the DFI lanparty has a number of tweaks and tricks which are suitable for 20 pin PSUs, specifically this which allows users to adjust the vDIMM up to 4v without drawing power from the 5v rail.

I would suggest avoiding a 20 pin PSU with a 24 pin board though if at all possible, the 12v pin on the 20 pin connectors have been known to burn from excess heat and it's simply safer. If you can't, it's not the end of the world with the proper precautions as a number of people do it.

........................................no

a quality 20pin power supply would work, but i wouldn't risk it (btw, you have a crappy 20 pin psu)

just go for a cheap $80-100 power supply such as the OCZ modstream 450W, 520W, or the fortron blue storm 500W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom