need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nofx1728

Solid State Member
I'm running Windows XP PRO
MB - VIA KT333CF AK38N SHUTTLE RTL - Retail

VGA EVGA|GF4 MX440SE 128MB 4X TV R - Retail

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton 333MHz FSB Socket A Processor Model AXDA2500BOX - Retail

Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Unbuffered System Memory Model KVR333X64C25/512

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST340014A 40GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM

CASE ENLGHT|MIDATX 72500AZ P4 USB - Retail

**The computer seems to freeze a lot, sometimes it gets lines going through the screen, and recently the screen would turn black for 1 second, and then go back to the desktop for about 5 seconds, then turn black again, and it kept repeating this process until I reset. I previously had Windows 98 on it, and it did the same thing. I don't know what the problems is, and I don't know how to find out what the problem is. I just reformatted, I did the extended memory check, but thats about it. Does anyone have any clues on what the problem is... or any ideas of how to find the problem?

Thank you

You have some rather decent hardware right there, so I would recommend you go with Windows XP. That may fix your problem.

Your video card may be overheating, because you are getting artifacts and it is sporatically shutting off. Can you grab the temps from your CPU and video card?

him, he is on XP...

it sounds like it's possibly heat or power related or both. what is the output on you Power supply?
you said it's a P4 case. Doesn't the athlon have different power requirements over the P4? I can't remember anymore...

No, there is no difference in teh case. I knew someone was going to bring that one up. On the Athalon XP's, you dont need that little 4 pin connector. On P4's you do.

I didnt notice that he said he was on XP. I only noticed that he said he was previously on 98 and that led me to believe that he still was. Havent drank enough coffee yet...

I'm pretty sure the power requirements are slightly different, but I emailed AMD before I bought the case and power supply to make sure they were compatible. So I think that is good, but could potentially be the problem, is there anyway to check to see if that is causing it.. besides running the current system on another power supply? Also, Last time i checked the comp was running at like 35 degrees, so unless this thing heats up rapidly when certain programs are opened, I don't know how it is overheating. Is there a way to check the current temperature, afer bois is loaded, and the computer is up and running in full mode?

Thanks for your reply

mike

Sorry for posting back to back, but I forgot to mention, and I see this as possibly the problem. I have 2 different sticks of 512 mb pc 2700 ddr 333 memory sticks. Made by 2 different manufacteurs. I'm pretty sure they both use the same medal for the pins though.

Thanks

Mike

Good to know. I'm still curious on the power though. Almost sounds like the system is getting an up and down surge of power on some components. It's very possible on systems that don't have a good PS.

Nah, the sticks arent your problem. They will just downclock to the speed of the slowest stick. The PSU is not the problem either, at least not in the way that you think it is. There is no difference in PSU's in that light (Athalon XP's and P4's) but you may have a bad PSU. Try to change it out.

Your CPU temp is nice and low, but your GPU (graphics card) is a different story. Google SpeedFAN and use that, it shows temps.

I just dl SpeedFan.
Temp 1 :30 degrees
Temp 2 :38 degrees
Temp 3 :fluctuates, sometimes -80 sometimes 100, don't know what temp 3 refers to though. Sometimes down arrow, sometimes a check mark, sometimes a fire symbol.
HD0 : 30 degrees
Temp 1 :29 degrees

Fan 1 - 3184 rpm
Fan 2 - 0 rmp
Fan 3 - 2961 rpm

I don't think I have 3 fans, if I do.. how do i know which one is Fan 2.

that is what is displayed.

Also, I have a 2 year out of date bois, which I'm about to flash. Don't know if that could be a problem as well. Only problem is, I've never flashed bios, and i'm nervous. Not sure the exact thing to type, so I'm trying to wait for shuttle to email me back.

If you're not comfortable, dont do it. BIOS flashes are very easy, but if you do the wrong one, you permanently destroyed your board. I would wait for them to email you back as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom