new comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikos123

Beta member
hi guys im a new user,

just wanted to ask whether building a machine for myself is safer than buying one ready made from a supplier.

my mate has offered to build it for me, but ive had other advice from other friends insisting its actually safer to buy from a supplier. so im not too sure what to do at the moment.

can anyone help with some advice?

Thanks in advance,

Nick.

It is'nt that difficult to build your own...you will save a little money and you get to put the parts in it that you want. If you have a friend that has done this before than go for it, some stores where you buy the parts will mount the cpu and heatsink for you if you don't feel comfortable with doing it. There is lots of information on the web on building your own, thats how I learned how to do it, so far built 3, with success and I did not even know how to turn on a computer a year ago let alone build one. Good luck which ever way you decide........

No problems at all..The best thing is to read up on as much information you can get your hands on, and ask people questions. I bought my first computer from a store paid over $1600 for it, monitor included. I had more problems with it, than the ones I built, but I have learned alot since then. Once again good luck.

Compatibility

You might start by deciding if your a fan of Intel or AMD and how fast a processor you want.

Then decide on a motherboard supplier and you will have MB choices based on your choices above.

Within that MB range you can pick how much support you want for growth (Sata, raid, GB lan etc).

Pick memory based on what your MB will support.

Pick a quality PS that will handle your plans for growth.

Basically you makes things compatible in the process of making your choices.

If this doesn't sound like fun let someone else make the choices and explain them to you and build it.

Last choice a commercial vendor. Power supply ? MB ? Memory ? Proprietary parts? Price of parts is a major concern to these vendors. Since quality and price generally rise together you will only get what they think you need so they can protect their profit margin. They want you back in a couple of years for a new machine.

Or you can be upgrading your perfect computer by utilizing the MB options you selected, swapping out a faster CPU or worse case the MB, CPU and memory (down the road).

Don't pay to much, technology will eradicate value quickly (the leading edge will cost you dearly - MB may be the exception here).

Great Hobby enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom