RAID vs Raptor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I probably should...

Either way, those sites still communicate the basic messages I was trying to get across the original guy asking the question, the single Raptor is proven to be the faster solution than the RAID 0 array, and again, the RAID 0 array yields minimal performance gain over the single drive of the same flavour.

Once more...
Speed = Raptor
GB/$ = RAID 0

You mean less money right?

But see the caviar RAID won in burst read speed and was very close to the raptor in average read speed. And the RAID's write speed is definitely better. And this is a 74gb raptor we're talking about, which is faster than the 37gb. So this basically proves the case that the RAID is the better option. Pretty close to the raptor in read and better in write, plus more storage, less money, etc.

RAID 0 wins I say.

How about we quit arguing over this and just say that RAID 0 with a raptor is your best option. :)

We are supposed to be arguing over this. Look at the name of the thread. We are not off-topic. If you don't want to argue RAID vs raptor then don't post.

and btw we are talking specifically about 2 7200rpm drives in RAID 0 versus a single raptor

I was kidding just saying that I'd go with raptors in RAID 0. But since we're on this topic now, I'd have to say that a single raptor is faster (see Gaara's explanation). When in RAID 0, the FASTEST you can hope to achieve is double, and there is no gaurantee that you'll get that. Double would be 14,400 rpm, but most of the time you won't get anywhere near 2 times faster. Plus you have everything else to consider (what Gaara was talking about) and when it is all said and done, the raptor is faster.

yeh wen it comes down to it i spose... ther is no single drive (sata or ata) that comes close to the speed of raptor (with its 10k rpm) and 2 drives either match or slightly surpass the raptor in certain things ... i will probly end up gettin one raptor in the near future afta thinking about it for a bit longer and then mayb sumtim afta that buy 2 cheaper 80gb and put in RAID 0 or 0+1 so i dont lose :)

but wen i think about it more.. doesnt 2 drives mean that the ide controller has a lot more work to do because there is twice the amount of drives connected to it and they will be after data at the same time (in RAID)?? i no cpu usage goes up slightly (seen some benchmarks with RAID) but would 2 drives be taxing on the ide controller?

just raid 0, 2 seagate drives, speed but silent!
nah i dont like seagates their slow compared to others (yes mayb sum models are fast) but i much prefer sumthin like a hitachi or wd

nah i dont like seagates their slow compared to others (yes mayb sum models are fast) but i much prefer sumthin like a hitachi or wd

yeah, lol, i guess you replace when i said seagate with your prefered drive brand, however as long as you get a 7200rpm and 8mb cache, the difference in data transfer is negligible. Also, seagate has a 5 year warrenty on thier 7200rpm 8mb drives and are whisper quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom