How Long For APG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
With PCI-X coming in last year for Video Cards, how long do you thing it will be before the magority of the manufacturers pull the plug on APG video cards?

probably however long it took high end cards to stop using the PCI bus back in the day.

As long as AGP mobos work, there will be a need for AGP cards.

just because the powers that be are pushing PCI-E, the current sea of AGP boards are still out there... and are still being made...

In about a year I'd say the market will be close to 50/50, most people will be buying a PCI-E card and compliant motherboard if they're getting new hardware, after the generation of GPUs that follows the GeForce 7/x900 line, most likely 90-95% will be PCI-E based, with AGP boards being a rare alternative for a short period. And I'm talking purely PCI-E, PCI will be down the tubes by then as well.

The only funny thing about the AGP/PCI-E switch is that unlike previous switches such as ISA/PCI or PCI/AGP, these boards don't have both interfaces for users to choose from.

Trotter said:
As long as AGP mobos work, there will be a need for AGP cards.
AGP Motherboards working is one thing. AGP Motherboard avalable is another.

The problem is the avalability of motherboards. Like try getting a medium to high end Socket 939 Motherboard with an APG slot.

Good Luck!!! As a lot of them got dicontiued, or at least stopped getting shipped down to australia a 3 months back.

gaara said:
The only funny thing about the AGP/PCI-E switch is that unlike previous switches such as ISA/PCI or PCI/AGP, these boards don't have both interfaces for users to choose from.
ISA just slowly got phased out in the end. The last NEW ISA device that I installed was a Internal Dynalink 56k Modem. That was some time in about 2000. And who here remembers things like the Creative Labs AWE 64 ISA Sound Card?

I was supprised how long ISA did hang around for. I think the last new motherboard with ISA on it that I used was in 2002. There was no manufacturers producing new ISA devises for a long time before that.

The PCI / APG change over was slow. It was not until about 2000 when the GeForce Cards came out, and back then, there was no way that you would get the signals go through the motherboard fast enough via PCI. And with GeForce, it was then that started to drive every one towards APG over PCI.
But still, you still had the option for PCI, and occasionally you had some people that wanted a low end PC, or they got one of those annoying BRANDED Boxed with an All-In-One Motherboard and NO APG slot. Hence the reason why people like Janton Technology still seem to be making a killing on PCI video card.

The funny thing is, according to another thread here, it seems that people like MSI have developped a video card that is both PCI-X and APG. However, since I am a bit old fashioned, I do prefer to do some thing FULLY, or NOT AT ALL.

Currently, I am tossing up between the following my next magor grade :-
1. One more upgrade of my APG Video Card. I am currently packing a GF5700 256Mb VIVO. And see how long I can keep the system "up to spec".

2. Do the BIG Upgrade of Mobo, Skt 939 CPU, PCI-X and get it over and done with.

AGP will be here for a while.
PCI-E (not PCI-X, that is a 64-bit expansion slot, different to PCI-E) is the future, but it will not be the complete replacement for a while yet

Hey harper, back when the geforce cards came out, pci could keep up, even when 4x agp was brand new, it wasnt till after pc's hit the 1ghz plus range that they could actually feed an agp card fast enough to beat and identical pci card.When agp first came out I fell into that trap and spent $$ thinking my fps in games would be better, I was way wrong.Then again, back in those days, video drivers and games in general were so buggy you had to have 2-3 video cards just to play a wide range of games LOL.Many of the microsoft games had really really bad video support.I didnt see the drivers start getting better till the geforce2 series had been around for several months and directX was at like 8.x I think.OpenGL games tended to run better most of the time but many cards gave you only one choice, good OpenGL support or good directX support, never both.I wore out a couple agp slots on some mobo's from switching vid cards all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom