Need a decent 5.1 sound card PCI interface, recommendations welcome please

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few things wrong with that rig.

1. You're not getting dual channel ram, a must for a gaming rig, I recommend one set of this.
Second, you listed an IDE CD/DVD drive, which is slower SATA. I recommend this one. Third, eVGA is way over rated, just because it has a hot mermaid chick on the heatsink, does not make it better. I recommend this one by leadtek, it is clocked at 1120/550 stock, while the one by eVGA is only clocked at 1000/500. I also highly recomend you get this sound card, it is much better than whatever you have in mind, and it is the best sound card for gaming because it supports all the gaming audio standards, such as EAX 4.0, A3D, and a bunch other I cant remember off the top of my head. It also has a very good price.

Creative is the best for gaming. EAX is Creative technology and Creative cards often increase FPS better than other APU solutions.

If you want a soundcard more for listening to or recording music, M-Audio would be a better solution.

As far as DVD playback goes most reviews don't give either an edge. However, Audigy 2 ZS and up have DTS decoding. I don't know if M-Audio or another popular alternative Turtle Beach have that. Of course if you already have a software decoder or speaker with DTS decoder then you don't need it.

But if you're leaning more towards gaming, get an Audigy 2 ZS. Forget the Platinum versions.

The new Xi-Fi APU looks very interesting especially if it does what it does (Creative has a shady marketing past). Maybe wait for that. So go with onboard now and then upgrade once Xi-Fi comes out.

MANHUNT

nonoononno

DO NOT get that kingston value ram

go get a gig of twinmos ram

kingston value ram will not work with the dfi lanparty board (i've blown 2 hard drives already) because they use low quality stuff and probably will require an insane (the unsafe amount of insane) voltage to make it work

second, you're gonna needa power supply to go along with that computer, the case powersupply sucks ass (get an ocz modstream 450W or to be safe 520W)

Should i get just a 1 gb stick or two 512? Also people say to get two for some reason, whats up with that? Faster? Also what is unbuffered and registered ram?

Manhuntkotor said:
Just a 5.1 pci gaming one. Im going to be playing stuff like Half life 2 and Battlefield 2 so it needs to be pretty good but not top of the line. How does my computer look, i am building it my self:

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory x2

SONY Black 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE Combo Drive

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA NCQ ST3120827AS 120GB 7200 RPM 8M Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

ViewSonic E70F+SB Metallic on Black 17" CRT Monitor 0.25mm diagonal Dot Pitch 15-pin mini D-sub

eVGA 128-P2-N368-TX Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 Video Card

XION Ultimate Engineering XON-001 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply

ALTEC LANSING VS3151 50 Watts 5.1 Speaker

Is that Dvd drive like a regular one and will play cd's and dvd's?
Also, do you think the 6600GT will last me for at least 6 months and be able to play upcoming games such as Battlefield 2 and others?

the DFI board already has 7.1 sound, which actually does a good job

Re: Re: Need a decent 5.1 sound card PCI interface, recommendations welcome please

Harper said:
Are you planning on doing anything with this sound card. Eg. professional or semi professional sound sampling / editing?

Otherwise, Creative Labs Audigy 4 Pro

:mad: Your paragraph better not be talking about the audigy 4 pro as a pro soundcard, creatives (half decent) pro end is their EMU (Not related to suicidal rockers) line.

Anyways for a good gaming soundcard you have 4 choices.

1: Turtle Beach Catalina - Cheapest solution, great sounding card. Sounds much better than soundblasters. Not sure how it peforms in a 3D enviroment as I have never tried.

2: M-Audio Revelution - Lots of people are liking this card, personally I havnt tried it.

3: Creative Audigy 2 ZS - Really overpriced due to the fact that their marketing whores like intel. Hold about 90% of the market, like intel, and overcharge and their's much better cards (like intel). Easy to use and reliable though.

Re: Re: Re: Need a decent 5.1 sound card PCI interface, recommendations welcome please

DJ-CHRIS said:
:mad: Your paragraph better not be talking about the audigy 4 pro as a pro soundcard, creatives (half decent) pro end is their EMU (Not related to suicidal rockers) line.
Hell Know. I know this one guy that purchase the Highest End Audigy 2 Card 2 years ago, and his comment was "It's most $#!+y-est piece of equipment on his sound set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom