Intake vs. Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the fan is touching the case just barely in some places and its bouncing back and forth causing it to make that noise, try to get some small washers and put on it to shut it up...

It isn't that... I wish I could let you hear the sound. Here is my best description though. A processor fan cranked up to 5,000 rpms.

My guess is that it has something to do with the way the case is designed... but I just don't understand why it was quiet as exhaust and noisy as intake. Could it possibly be the design of the grill or the design of the side panel?

Your fan has a metal mesh screen like thing to keep your fingers from hitting it right? Maybe its touching the fan in the center causing the noise, ive had several fans do that....

Tried washers... I'll experiment.

I guess it boils down to this: Why would a 120mm side fan make more noise set to intake than it would if it were exhaust?

How can I slow the fan down? Is there a mod I can do somehow? It doesn't make the sound when it is slower, but I can't make it slower using my regulard controller.

If I move the fan out about 3/8 of an inch the sound goes away. I think the sound is coming from the fan trying to pull in air through the grill or it being too close. Tomorrow I'm going to get some longer screws and make a mount setup for my side fan. This won't hurt will it (having it about half an inch away from the side panel)? It won't get as much air from the outside, but it won't hurt will it?

Percussion Adjustment:
Verb
The act of hitting something in hopes it will make it work.

Sometimes, it is the only way things will work.

Mounting your fan like that wont hurt it. If it was that screen making the noise, you would hear loud whistling, so unless you hear that, it is not the mesh. If you cover it with a peice of paper, it is sucking as much air around it as it possibly can whilst covering the fan with the paper, dramatically reducing air flow. The onyl thing i can think of is that it is rattling, or the fan is on it's way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom