Failed to add another Ram. need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheukyin

Beta member
Can't add this ram, how come?

Hi, I currently have 512ram, and would like to add another 512.
But it didn't work

My current Ram: Samsung 512 pc2700 DDR333
The new ram i bought: Samsung 512 pc2700 DDR333

My system:
p4 2.53, ASUS P4PE, 512 RAM.

Other info: I bought my old ram last sept.
Althought the name of these 2 ram are the same, but they look different physically.

My first attempt:
I added the new ram into slot 2, started the machine, fan started to spin, but system won't start

My second attempt:
I took out my old ram and put my new one into slot 1, system starts, BIOS say i have 512 ram, but system reset during the window loading screen.

My third attempt:
I put my old ram into slot 1, and the new one into slot 3. System started, Bios said i have 1 gb of ram. But system reset during the window loading screen.

*** in my second and third attempt, It said window fail to load due to hardware change, and it prompt me to choose an option, run in safe mode, start up using last good config, or start up normally. i tried to start with safe mode, doesn't work.

What could be casuing the problem? Could it be my BIOS?

Please help.
thanks.

Hmmm... your computer did work with just the original RAM, right? Seems that if your original RAM worked, and the new RAM did now work by itself in slot 1, then it is faulty RAM. Does it work with just your first stick of RAM in?

RMA?

What is a "RMA"

Risk Management Association?

Also , the ram is good, the retailer has done a memtest.

um, my setup, I don know wha tyou mean, but here is my system info

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer System Manufacturer
System Model System Name
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2539 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software, Inc. ASUS P4PE ACPI BIOS Revision 1007, 11/10/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Taiwan
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 249.36 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Is that processor being overclocked? If you have changed things in the BIOS setup like RAM timings (this happened for me anyway) the computer won't recognize the new RAM. You have to put everything back to normal (so write down what you changed) and the put it back up AFTER you put the new RAM in and start the system up once so it can detect it.

Wayniac said:
Is that processor being overclocked? If you have changed things in the BIOS setup like RAM timings (this happened for me anyway) the computer won't recognize the new RAM. You have to put everything back to normal (so write down what you changed) and the put it back up AFTER you put the new RAM in and start the system up once so it can detect it.

Um, my Asus mother auto overclock my cpu from 2.53 to 2.54ghz
But i never change any bios setting tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom