WinXp won't reconize my newly installed cd-rw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackecho

Baseband Member
About two weeks ago I installed a new 120gb hard drive. After a easy installation i found, that to my dismay, that my cd-rom drive wasn't being read- at all. I tried reconecting the power suply to it and tried different cords to no prevail. My computer is about two years old so I went out and got a new internal cd-rw and installed it with all of the new parts, but once again WinXp will not reconize it. It's not showing up as a drive letter or anything, and I've tried looking for it in device manager and detect/install hardware. Any ideas?

is it detecting the cdrom drivein the bios. Did you have to reinstall windows when you got that new hdd?

i don't know how to check to see if the bios is reading it- and no, i didn't have to reinstall windows because it is a second hard drive.

also, the cd-rom and hard drives are on separate IDE cables. So on one it's just my cd-rw and on the other my two hard drives.

didn't work... neither of them. i know that the cd drive is supported because it says designed for Win Xp. Plus it's plug and play and nothing is happening.

sounds like a hardware configuration problem. set the jumper on the cd-rom first to cable select. if that does not work set it to slave if it is connected to the middle of the cable. set it to master if it is connected at the end of the cable.

the other device on the cable that it is sharing also needs to be jumpered correctly. some devices are very picky about what setting you use. try every combination, you will not damage anything by doing this.

the cd-rw is the only device in the cable... and i've tried every setting so far... there's gotta be something i'm missing.

also try to put it on the other IDE controller, you might have a bad controller. and i know sometimes drives like to be the master on a cable. move drives around the cable and keep testing.

if you do not get anything to work i would assume you have a bad motherboard. if you can test these cd drives on another computer to make sure they are not dead, which i doubt they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom