Intake vs. Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the feeling that there must have been some reason, but I'm still going to change the side fan around and see what happens. Dust might be a good idea though... however, from any other computer, I've seen side fans set to intake.

I have a intake on the side panel as well, infact... I have 2 fans on top of each other blowing cool air onto the CPU fan :p

Side = Intake, always. Other wise you will have a negative force on the cpu fan heatsink, which will have to work harder to get air into it. See the back will be pulling away and the side will too so put the two together and make a mental image. Have the side bring in cool air to the cpu and video card which will happily flow over to the exaust. You want the air to flow from front to back to make a nice breeze.

i put my side fan on backwards so it blows out and i saw my processor idle at around 45C from the normal 27-36C

Holy man... I am definitely switching it now... my processor is idle around 40 c or so, so if I switch this, it should bring my temps way down.

Woah, that is one sexy case Wayne my friend. Cooling:

Front for intake
Rear for exhaust
Side for intake (like has been said)

A good ratio would be 50/50. For every fan intake, you should have one exhaust. If you have eight fans, 4 should be intake and 4 should be exhaust. Just an example. However, every combination of parts is different. Every machine is different. For the typical person, the intake on the side is what is needed. So that is why they did it like that, it is the most practical application. But, like I said, everyones machine is different. What works great for someone may not work great for someone else. The best way is to experiment. Most likely intake is the best, but who knows, maybe exhaust will prove to be most effective. Experiment, find out firsthand which works better, and report your findings.

I sould like a damn 7th grade science teacher...

Okay, so my side fan would not go in the other way. The other side was not threaded and the screws would not hold it... BUT, some self threading screws fixed that problem. :)

So I made the front and side intake (the side is 120mm and everything else is 90mm). The two back ones and the top one is exhaust.

Temp differences
....................BEFORE...........................................AFTER
CPU idle...........45 c...............................................38 c
CPU load..........53 c...............................................46 c

(video card)
GPU core..........58 c...............................................53 c
local.................45 c...............................................37 c
remote.............34 c...............................................29 c

It works better and cools better when the side is intake... no doubt. The problem is now this... IT IS LOUD AS HELL. Any ideas on making it quiet? It wasn't this loud when it was exhaust, but now it seems to sound much like an airplane taking off.

It's loud? Just because you turned it around? Try putting some rubber washers or something on the screws, or find a way to keep it from touching the side of the case. You may have kinda messed up the fan when you took it out. Or you can try a percussion adjustment, they usually work. ;)

Yeah, this is the weirdest thing. It became super loud just because I turned it around. Before, the fan was spinning and I hardly heard it, but now I can hear it spinning like nothing I've ever heard. Holy man is it annoying. If I put my hand in front of it and cover it up, I don't hear it anymore.

I'm going to try everything I can to get it to shut up. Rubber washers are next. What is a percussion adjustment because I might be able to get the sticks to quit hitting it so hard. ;)

Okay, this may be really stupid, but I have found that if I cover the outside of the fan with paper, it is quiet. However, of course, it seems like I am covering the air flow. The fan is still spinning, and it is still blowing air, but I am confused as to where it is getting all the air from if the other side is covered up. I'd like to keep it covered, but it can't possibly be good can it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom