What if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
I just saw this in another post. Horndude said it, and, frankly, I got shivers thinking about it.

What if Microsoft bought Intel or AMD? It is a very plausible scenario, and would suck SO MUCH! If they bought Intel, all Intel people would go AMD, and vice-versa if they bought AMD. What if they bought both? What would we do? If they did that, they could implement technology so you could ONLY install Microsoft software on them. It could signify the apocalypse! I think I would classify Microsoft as one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

I dont think that they would be allowed to allow their software to run on one or the other. That would start a monopoly(even moreso than now).

There was a proposed technology, I forget what it was, TPAA or something like that, but I dont know what happened to it. It was proprietary, so things like this could be done.

Codeine, money talks. MS could afford to offer AMD any amount of money for there company. It dosent matter who they like or hate, if they have more money being waved in front of their face than they have, they are going to take it. Bill Gates could PERSONALLY buy the company with his money! I'm sure he has more money than AMD.

Meh.. Those companies are worth quite a lot themselves. Even if MS is worth like 1/2 trillion dollars. The shareholders probably won't allow it anyways. Bill Gates is not stupid. He's not going to pay the shareholders and insane amount of money to only have the company stabilize back at a smaller value. And he can't do things like "make only MS run on the CPU", as teh government would eat him alive.

And even if the shareholders are ok with it, the government might have something to say re: antimonopoly issues..

Him said:
I just saw this in another post. Horndude said it, and, frankly, I got shivers thinking about it.

What if Microsoft bought Intel or AMD? It is a very plausible scenario, and would suck SO MUCH! If they bought Intel, all Intel people would go AMD, and vice-versa if they bought AMD. What if they bought both? What would we do? If they did that, they could implement technology so you could ONLY install Microsoft software on them. It could signify the apocalypse! I think I would classify Microsoft as one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

They can't implement technology so you could only install microsoft software.. that's called monopolization and it's illegal. They've been in court for a number years for trying that - or atleast coming very close to monopolizing certain softwares.

All mergers and aquisitions have to be approved by some government agency - can't remember the name - and, considering the recent court rulings, I doubt a merger or aquisition like that would be approved.

There is no doubt that monopolistic tendencies occur everyday in our "free" market, but they are limited and regulated.. probably, not well enough, but atleast they are.

Microsoft already are pretty much an illegal monopoly. Too much market share.

Thats not what makes them a monopoly. If anything, having more market share would make them less of a monopoly. It's their software, and the fact that they have it on nearly every machine in the world.

Him said:
If anything, having more market share would make them less of a monopoly.

hmmmm???.. :eek:

Him said:
It's their software, and the fact that they have it on nearly every machine in the world.

And this is different from the the situation in the first statement how exactly? Sounds exactly like "more market share" to me :)..

Having more market share dosent have anything to do with the number of copies of Windows on machines around the world. It just gives them more money. Ok, maybe not making it less of a monopoly, but having more market share dosent make them a monopoly. Technically, anway. I'm not a broker though, so I'm gonna shut up now. It's all in the wording...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom