NO Admin Rights!! Please Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

witchbonnie

Solid State Member
Hello!! I am having some major troubles with a computer I recently bought from a pawn shop. The computer has a Windows XP operating system installed.

When logging onto the computer there is no option to enter under an admin account only a guest account with limited abilities. I can't create any accounts, I can't do much of anything.

I cannot even access the setup menu because it too requires a password, that I do not know. I tried to reinstall the operating system, and I could not even do that.

I've tried changing the registry values, and many other suggestions that I have read online. I'm completely at a loss at this point!!

Please tell me what to do!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much for your time.

Rebecca

It was probably pawned from a small business which locked out admin via PW. Your only move really is reinstalling the OS.
If you don't own a copy of windows - it probably didn't come with the original CD - you will need to buy one.
Once done, format your HD and reinstall the OS.

I have a windows xp pro disc. When I try to reinstall the operating system I get an error saying I need admin rights. Is there a way to get around all this?

Thanks in advance!

Rebecca

You need to reinstall by putting the CD in, and restarting the computer. It should boot from the CD drive (you may have to change this in the BIOS). This shouldn't need any admin rights.

I tried your suggestion. I can't make any changes in bios at all. That also requires a password. I see something in the bios where it says supervisor password enabled. I can't do anything though within the bios without entering an unknown password.

You would really think that the people who pawned this computer would have changed that kind of thing before getting rid of it. It's like they made it completely impossible do make one single change.

I think I may have to call the pawn shop and see if they have a phone number or something for the previous owner, I seriously doubt they do though.

Geez, is this computer just considered dead now. Am I going to have to just replace the hard drive completely.

Sorry for rambling! Just really frustrated right now.

Thanks again,
Rebecca

witchbonnie said:
I tried your suggestion. I can't make any changes in bios at all. That also requires a password. I see something in the bios where it says supervisor password enabled. I can't do anything though within the bios without entering an unknown password.

You would really think that the people who pawned this computer would have changed that kind of thing before getting rid of it. It's like they made it completely impossible do make one single change.

I think I may have to call the pawn shop and see if they have a phone number or something for the previous owner, I seriously doubt they do though.

Geez, is this computer just considered dead now. Am I going to have to just replace the hard drive completely.

Sorry for rambling! Just really frustrated right now.

Thanks again,
Rebecca

Okay open it up, and find the CMOS battery, it's the battery.

Remove it, go do something for at least half an hour, come back put it in. It will remove a BIOS password :)

Than you just format and reinstall ect.

when I tried to format C:

I got a messagethat said you do not have sufficient rights to perform this operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom