black screen crashes...now comp is dead :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

some n0Ob

Solid State Member
I had this rather serious problem where the pc would automatically crash to a black screen. Whether it was while im surfin the web or in a game, the monitor would suddenly cut off. The LED on my monitor would start flashing orange and the one on my hd would change to a constant red. Then i would have to wait 10mins or 3 hours before i could boot the pc back up again :angry: .
Now it won't even boot up at all :( there is no beep when i turn it on, the cd-drive light starts flickering and all i hear is the fans then it gradually becomes silent.
Id heard this could be something to do with dust on the cpu heatsink, so i opened the hd and dusted it up (there was hardly any dust in it btw) yet it still refuses to work. Any ideas would be highly appreciated:D

It sounds like your power suppy (PSU) is toast. Post your specs and we can help you to pick out a new one.

Hmmm, im not sure if its that because when i turn the the pc on and look round the back i can see the PSU's fan spinning and theres a noise which gradually becomes quieter. Any other ideas???:confused:

Here are my specs (sorry if I miss anything out, im a complete newb when it comes to this :D )

Asus PX...somthing cant remember lol
Windows XP Pro SP 2
Nvidia GeForce FX5900
2.40ghz
60gig hd
anything else?

This is what's written: Golden Point 300W, ATX2.03P4, Model: 300X and then alot of AC Input/Output and DC Output figures, do you want me to put all of it here?

my guess would be:

1) Power supply is dying, change a new one
2) your system is overheat, open your case and power on to see if ur fans are working

either one of it or both

suggest deal with it fast before it fries your PC

Well the power supply unit is only 300 watts, what do you guys thing?
I never heard of that brand before so I dunno.

like the above posts mentioned, do you have a powerful video card and a lot of drives (Hdisk, DVD, burner)

the more device u got hook up, you need more power, if they all take the power from the PS in the case.

if you do, u sure need something stronger than 300W

Well ive had this pc for several months already and ive had no problems with it whatsoever until these recent weeks :( However last night i did try what hkfnstang suggested and opened up the case. Upon switching it on several times i noticed something peculiar with the fans (there are 4 in mine, the psu's, the gfx card's, one on the heat-sink and another right next to that)
1st attempt: All fans work fine
2nd: The heatsink fan wasn't spinning, had to give it a nudge to make it do so
3rd: All fans work fine
4th: gfx card fans are not spinning for some reason
5th: All fans work fine
rest:All fans work fine again

It was either one of those two fans that wouldnt spin on some occasions, not both. Apart from that, the other fans worked perfectly fine.

Ive only got a dvd-rom drive (and floppy drive of course :D ) the gfx card is probably medium-range and can handle my games (hl2/css, battlefield vietnam) at medium-high settings perfectly well.

btw thx for all your suggestions so far guys, really appreciate the help :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom