Speeding Up startup in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

WAS

Beta member
Can anybody give me some advice about speeding up startup in XP
My computer has got progressively slower on startup.
I know that a number of programs can be stopped form loading on startup; the problem is recognizing which ones to stop.
Is there a list that I can access?

start, run, msconfig. Everything there can be un-ticked.

There are things like sound drivers that you don't really want to untick. Google the names.

Well I wouldn't untick everything. I leave my sound and video card adjustment processes running. Along with my anti-virus and antispys.

I gave my XP start up a push by running the defragmenter and am enjoying not just that but also faster loading of other applications as well. File transfers have become noticeably faster and my system used to hang frequently..solved that as well. so am all for defragging but ofcourse have to mention that using the Windows built in is quite a pain.. go for the third party programs.

I think that list is made in the wrong order, it totally defeats the purpose.

Wrong
Step 2: Defrag
Step 3: Add/Remove Programs

Right
Step 2: Add/Remove Programs
Step 3: Defrag

Glider said:
I think that list is made in the wrong order, it totally defeats the purpose.

Wrong
Step 2: Defrag
Step 3: Add/Remove Programs

Right
Step 2: Add/Remove Programs
Step 3: Defrag

You're correct. If you Defrag, then Add/Remove Programs, you'll have all the programs added and removed leaving behind fragments of crud.

-SkyHi

if its a home system and not worried about security (logon stylie) then get yourself a copy of minlogon from xp embedded.

Replace your winlogon with minlogon (obviously renamed to winlogon).. This will gain you loads of time.. On my in car PC which doesnt do a lot i got my boot from 1:13 to 26 seconds with just that 1 change.

To swap the files over, you will need to disable windows file protection though else otherwise it'll not let you change the winlogon file.

Give it a go... well worthy.. microsoft.com has the xp embedded files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom