Picture of fried RAM and Mobo :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayboon

Solid State Member
I am using one stick of 512MB PC2700 Corsair and then today I received my Apacer 256Mb PC2700 CL2 that went for replacement due to some problem I had, only to find it fry my mobo along with it! Well not my whole mobo, just the DIMM slot it was on. Curses! The smell is still lingering in my room.

The settings are all stock and no extra voltage was applied. It just did! Anyone else out there had their RAM gone up in smoke? Especially Apacer, starting to hate this brand.

Here're some tragic pictures...

RAM.sized.jpg

Mobo.jpg

ok, the only time i have seen this happen was when the stick was put in backwards.

or there was something wrong with that stick.

mikesgroovin said:
Backwards? How?

-Michael

If you look at the DDR stick, you will see that there is only one center notch to guide its placement. That means that, even though it is staggers to one side, you can still put the chip in backwards, circumventing the safeguard and frying your mobo.

Hmmm, it's more offset then it looks. And it's offset for just that reason....no more. You would really have to put some force into it. Just seems funny...no worries.

sayboon-Yea, I know....the DIMM can't lock into place backwards anyway...I just thought it was a little funny.

-Michael

mikesgroovin: I wish I could say it's funny but on my side it's nothing but troublesome. Need to send back to the manufacturer and ask about the mobo. Doubt I'll be compensated but it's worth a try I suppose.

Anyone else out there using my brand of Apacer? Corsair it the best RAM I've used so far, currently using one stick of 512 PC2700. May cost a little more but it's worth it.

No, not currently using that brand.

Yea, sorry...didn't think that your problem was funny...mis-communication. I hope, for your sake, that you're compensated.

-Mike

mike: No worries mate. Just thought I'd share my plight and hopefully we'll be more wary when buying Apacer from now on.

thats nothing 2 days ago i fried a hard disk, well actually the power supply burnt out and fried it, the smell is awful so i know how you feel. apacer huh?, i guess we could learn from your mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom