Sticky $500, $1000 builds, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elbatrop1

Memberbot
I was thinking, because we get a lot of "Build me a $2000 gaming computer" threads, we should make pre-made stickies of these types of threads.

We could make a thread knowing that it is going to be a sticky, debate about the parts, etc etc. Then when a final build is decided upon, we could sticky it and have it there for new members looking for a computer to be built.

Of course they could be updated as technology changes...

I personally volunteer to make at least one initial build (the most time-consuming part) so that it could be criticized, and rebuilt.

Some potential machines to be premade (USD):

$500 office

$750 gaming
$750 office
$750 multimedia

$1000 gaming
$1000 office
$1000 multimedia

$1500 gaming
$1500 multimedia

$1750 gaming
$1750 multimedia

$2000 gaming

What do you guys think?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

The hard part would be building/including enough options to satify all the fanboys (of whatever).

Considering that I'm looking to build my first rig in the very near future, I would be interested in the overall concept.

As trotter said, its all about fan boys. You would have to deal with them, then change the sticky as technology changes. I would imagine alot of people would bash those already configured computers. You would need someone well knowledgeable with computer hardware to configure these systems. So you dont waste all this time constantly fixing them. Just simply get it done. Its a very good idea though.

I think it sounds like a good idea... however, some "thought" needs to go into the list, before creating it.

meaning, things like:

1) what is the objective of the system?

2) buying parts... you can buy name brand (expensive) or generic (cheap) and some of the time--- the results/performance might be the exactly the same [or it might not matter??]

3) experience to build it (a rating guide,etc?) -- don't want someone to see---- oh, if I buy this and just do it... then someone goes out and buys the part and screws it up because they don't understand how to install/configure it correctly

4) and then figure out how to deal with flames and changes to the list??? because both will happen :)

maybe have a standard, required format for posting???
something like:
- purpose of post:
- reason for post:
- your opinion:

if someone can't answer those questions in that fashion.. delete it

:)
or somethign like that...

just my opinion

THANKS!!!

I do like the idea though!!

Here's a thought.

PCUpgrade magazine has BYO systems about every other month. These articles/guides are very thorough, detailing the main aim of said system, as well as what parts were used and why. It also includes step-by-step instructions as well as pictures to explain when words don't cut it.

About once a year they compile the best of the year, along with an extra one or two, and publish them in a single special issue. I ahve the current special, Build Your Own PC. It has eight systems in it:

* Modded PC
* Audio-Distribution System and Music Server
* Ultimate Gaming PC
* Water-Cooled System
* Digital Photo Lab
* Home Recording Studio
* Next-Generation PC

Maybe a format like this? And maybe a sub-forum off of Hardware?

Im not sure about those different systems, Trotter. Most of the build requests around here dont include some of your listed one.

I like the idea of having it as a Sub-Forum off of Hardware.

buying parts... you can buy name brand (expensive) or generic (cheap) and some of the time--- the results/performance might be the exactly the same [or it might not matter??]

I agree that this might cause some issues. Maybe some of the builds could be split into "Overclockable" or "Un-Overclockable." A lot of the 'fancy' parts come into play when overclocking, ie: non-stock cooling, OCing RAM, etc.

maybe have a standard, required format for posting???
something like:
- purpose of post:
- reason for post:
- your opinion:

I like this...
It might help to cut down on the fanboy comments.

I listed the different sustems as examples. Not that they should be the ones used or anything.

By giving the purpose behind a build, you help people see why you chose what you did.

buying parts... you can buy name brand (expensive) or generic (cheap) and some of the time--- the results/performance might be the exactly the same [or it might not matter??]

The way they did this in the mag was to put down what exactly they used, as well as a few links to dealers who sell it. The way it could be done here is to name what goes in, as well as some alternatives. I know that when I do anything like this (building a computer, cooking, whatever), I tend to substitue for my own tastes, budget, and availability.

Maybe some of the builds could be split into "Overclockable" or "Un-Overclockable."

Definitely. It should be stated up front whether or not the build can/should overclock.

maybe have a standard, required format for posting

I like the way you think, Larry. A standardized format, and strictly enforced (at least for the opening of the build).

Larry said:
4) and then figure out how to deal with flames and changes to the list??? because both will happen :)

The biggest problem is going to be flaming for sure,All the fan boy's are going to turn it in to a big part's war,One is going to suggest a certain part and then 5 are going to start screaming that it suck's bla bla bla,I think this is a bad idea and if it doe's happen it won't last too long :(

Thanks for being honest, Shumway. I was hoping to see a criticism.

I see how this can turn into a flame-war starter all over the place.

I also think that a lot of TF is on the same page. For example, most like Venice 3200s, eVGA 6600GTs or 6800GTs, DFI mobos, OCZ RAM, Seagate HDs, OCZ, Antec, or Thermaltake PSUs, etc.

Although there is a bunch of different opinions on hardware, I think there is a lot of similarities in opinions.

Elbatrop1 said:
Thanks for being honest, Shumway. I was hoping to see a criticism.

Your welcome :) I just call it as i see fit ;)

I also think that a lot of TF is on the same page. For example, most like Venice 3200s, eVGA 6600GTs or 6800GTs, DFI mobos, OCZ RAM, Seagate HDs, OCZ, Antec, or Thermaltake PSUs, etc.

That's another big problem,When someone ask's about a cheap setup you get 50 guy's screaming "Forget about that cheap crap and buy this " Not everybody can afford top quality crap :( Don't forget your going to have to please both AMD & Intel fan's,So you will have to do 2 of each kind of setup if this turn's out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom