Would it make sense to use a server for your pc with unlimited money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FutureGenius

Beta member
Say you dont have a network, you just have (or are building a) pc. You have virtually limitless supply of money. Would it make sense to just biuld your own server then build your own computer? It defeats the purpose of networking, but is it good for the pc purpose?

Well, i wish i had the cash supply. If its got plenty of RAM, a fast CPU, and a large harddrive, u should be fine. However, if its not networked...then wouldnt ur PC already kinda be ur server...? Im a little confused by the question. Would u be using it for keeping files for access, or more of a game server?

FutureGenius said:
It defeats the purpose of networking, but is it good for the pc purpose?

The purpose of networking is that you can share resourses (Both Data and Hardware) between more than one computers / users / locations.

My boss can give me all the money in the world of ubar server, it will not replace the fact that I need a computer networked from both production room and warehouse so I can look after orders with out having to run back and forth to my desk and various places around the warehouse I work in.

Building a client server network is expensive and is really only used for professional enviroments with 10+ workstations, I really don't think centralized adminstration or computer dependency are really important when you have a network that only consists of one workstation.

Infact, I don't even know why you are considering a server since you're only using one PC in the first place and adding money, time and maintenence for no reason at all. You wouldn't even have a network if you weren't considering a server so I don't see the point.

I have a file server just for downloading and storing crap on and transfering between my computers, I wouldn't ever see the need for a client server though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom