Building new computer, need advice and some reccomendations plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manhuntkotor

In Runtime
Alright here is my setup, all off of newegg.com:

Motherboard: SOLTEK NF4PRO-939 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - OEM

Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

Dvd Drive: SONY Black 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE Combo Drive

Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST380011A 80GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive

Sound Card: CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy ES SB0162 6 (5.1) Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

Monitor: ViewSonic E70F+SB Metallic on Black 17" CRT Monitor 0.25mm diagonal Dot Pitch 15-pin mini D-sub

Video Card: eVGA 128-P2-N368-TX Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 Video Card

Speakers: ALTEC LANSING VS3151 50 Watts 5.1 Speaker

Keyboard & mouse: Logitech Cordless Desktop EX100 Black 102 Normal Keys 7 Function Keys PS/2 Wireless Type Standard Keyboard Mouse Included

I dont know what sort of power supply i should get. Also, does it really matter what case i get? I want one that at least has a place to see inside the computer with some lights, hopefully green or blue. IF you see some things that wouldnt work, plz tell me. Also, hoping to play the latest games and to use it for about a year. Will it see me thru? Thanks for the help.

Power supplys up to you. I like thermaltake power supplys, you probably would want a 600 watt psu. As for cases, try http://www.coolerguys.com

I buy all my stuff there for "cathode lights" and "cases". The case doesn't matter, just make sure your motherboard fits and and all. As for assembling the computer not too much to do.

Mount (screw) motherboard into case
put CPU in socket on motherboard
put heatsink with fan on cpu
put video card/sound card/memory on motherboard
put harddrives in/dvd drives/cd drives
plug power cables into video card (if it requires) harddrive, dvd drive
plug case connections to motherboard so you can power up computer.

That's about it.

Could i go with a 450 wat psu? Or is that not enough. Also, do i litteraly put the heatsink with fan on top of the cpu?

On teh whole computer? Right now it is around $1000, 951.17 with the fans and case. I just need to know if it will last me a good while, 6 moths at least, and if there are any things that wouldnt work together.
I have found the case. I just need to know what "extras" such as a fan and stuff i need.

yes the case does matter, for air flow. make sure ur case has good air flow setup or things will get hot. as for putting the heatsink on the proc you don't just put it on top. it should have come with a thermal compound that you put on the processor. then set the heatsink on it and clamp it down. take it off again and check the bottom to see if it has good contact (if the thermal stuff covers the whole proc area and was evenly spread) then you can put it back on and you're good to go. I would make one change to the order of building the comp. depending on the case you have, its sometimes easier to mount the proc and heatsink, and memory on the mobo before you install the mobo. other than that ur comp is good to go.

Also, you will need to buy an anti-static wrist band, you connect it to the case and youll be grounded the whole time, to prevent static damage to your parts...Also, the 450 watt PSU is fine, you might want to check this one out, http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270022. Its a good PSU, 450 Watt also, very strong and durable. Also, make sure when you do take the heatsink off to make sure the compound spread, donot put it back on with the heatsink attatched...You could bend the spokes and then bye bye CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom