windows xp service pack 2 and its firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick muretta

Beta member
All of the sudden my windows firewall stoped working.

when I try to start it it tells me that windows /firewall internet connection sharing is not running so when I go to start the service i get another error (error 10047 an address incompatible with the requested protocol was used). does any one know how to correct this problem?

nick muretta, you need another firewall anyway and turn the windows firewall OFF. It doesn't protect you very well.

Go to http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41649 and read my post that gives a list of everything you need, firewalls included. :)

As far as that error is concerned, here is what it is:

Event ID 6: FTP Server Could Not Create the Main Connection...
SYMPTOMS
When you try to start the FTP Server service, it may not start. The following event messages appear in Event Viewer:
Event ID: 6, Source: FTPSVC, Type: Error Description: FTP server could not create the main connection socket, the data is the error.

Event ID: 7024, Source: Service Control Manager, Type: Error Description: FTP server service terminated with service specific error 10047.
CAUSE
This problem may occur due to the installation of non-NDIS compliant network adapter drivers or network services, such as ODI-compliant network adapter drivers.
RESOLUTION
Remove the non-NDIS compliant network component, and install a supported NDIS-compliant network component.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server 3.1
• Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.1
• Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server 3.1

For some reason, it thinks your computer is running as a server. Liz

For those of you who had this happen to them, it because of spyware and when you remove it, if screws your xp fw up. I always download spyware, adaware etc so i can learn how to get rid of them, last night I downloaded brittany fest.exe, it was 1.18mb or so in size, has a trojan attached with a lot of spyware. So i got delete it, like 5 different programs, when i reboot, windows firewall wasnt on. When i try to enable it it get an error message reading windows security center could not be turned on, go to the control panel and turn it on, then when i try that i get another error message reading windows cannot start ics service, etc. I dont have a fix for this yet but im looking into it.

The XP firewall does a fine job. if you are the kind of user that downloads loads and visits dodgy sites filling your computer up with spyware then no it wont give you much protection fom this, but then that is not what a firewall is for.

A firewall is there to act as a barrier between your computer and the internet, this the XP firewall does fine. If you want a no hastle firewall then it is great although slightly more irritating after SP2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom