Opteron Quetions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amd64Boy

In Runtime
Opteron Questions

Soon I will be creating a massive power server with dual AMD Opteron processors. The server will be used as a large network filesystem. As you probably know 64-bit processors rely on x86 architecture. What OS do you think will support all this. I'd rather have this server be running on linux, but whatever OS will support the technolgy is my main concern so im open for all suggestions.

This post will also be in the Linux part of Tech-Forums

windows server2003 with whatever patches it needs

Just about any linux version, a GUI wont be important, you will need to compile a kernel after install with SMP support, and start with a freely available kernel source with x64 headers/module sources.Then install/configure whatever server apps you want, they are free for download and most come with linux distros, like apache,mySQL,database apps etc.Linux supports prettymuch any networking hardware and scheme imaginable right out of the box.

Out of the box linux solutions which cost $$ like windows, redhat enterprise is one.

No matter what path you pick, you will have to do some setup work specific to what your doing, no way around that.If you dont have unix skills and go with linux you will have some major headaches.Even with windows server your going to get used to poking your head into their manuals for answers.Once its setup though either will be pretty maintenance free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom