Masive Computer Slowdown after Power Surge / Blackout

Status
Not open for further replies.

CptKami

Beta member
This evening a large blackout / power surge went through the area with a storm - total power was out for about 45 minutes. At the time of the surge / blackout, I was not at my computer, but it was on. When I came back to reboot and turn the PC back on, the computer ran terribly slowly. After selecting (any) Windows User, the Window's background loads, but no icons do. The Start menu button and task tray also do not appear. This happens no matter what user is selected on the computer.

After seeing the problem, I figured I'd run it in Safe Mode and see if I could figure anything out.

When running Windows in Safe Mode, the background and icons are loaded, but when an application is loaded (or the Task Manager), the computer slows to a lock.

My guess is it is some sort of blow out hardware issue - but I'm certainly no PC guru, and was hoping some of you could give me any advice or information on similar problems, or specific issues dealing with power surges / blackouts.

I don't have the exact specs of the computer (it is my brothers, actually) but it is a Dell Mobo, a few years old, running Windows XP Home.

Thanks in advance.

Kami

It really doesn't matter about the make, spec's and the OS:

1) because a blackout will do the same damage to any computer regardless;
2) you computer is 'trash' now (LOL).

Here are a few links of interest to you:

Power Surge Facts Quote='Fact: Over 40 percent of all computer crashes and data losses are caused by power surges'.

Protecting your Computer Quote='PCs house voltage-sensitive components that a power surge can easily damage. A spike in the electrical output from a wall plug will at minimum shorten the life of your computer. It could also crash and destroy your system, taking all your data with it'.

Equipment Protection Quote='Your entertainment system, television, VCR, CD player and stereo system are valuable items and need to be protected accordingly. Using a surge protector is one inexpensive way to protect this equipment from power fluctuations'.

Also there is a ton of info on 'Google' with the search terms 'power surges and computer crashes'.

I seriously think you need to get a new computer. Since you are not that familiar with computer mechanics I would suggest bringing it into a reliable 'computer professional'.

The monitor and the mouse are working etc so it is in the main body. Trial and error could work, ie replacing a component with another to see if it helps. It could be various components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom