Noob Experiencing Major Sound/Video Lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldkilla

Solid State Member
Hey all. Within the past 5 months my newly built computer has been working wonders. Within the last week, all sound coming out of the computer started to lag. I noticed that all video lagged, as well as sound. If an application (such as a window or folder) were to be opened, the lag became more distinct. Sort of like the sound you may or may not hear if you are burning a CD and 100% of your computers resources are being used and you have music in the backround locking up, tahts what I have, with video as well. but there is no other applications running.

I was mad at first to notice this, so I went online to look for updates on my computer and updated 1 or 2 things. Still the same problem was there, so I formatted the entire computer. The computer worked awesome, even better than it did before. Come two days later, the problem came back. There was no event or something to trigger this into happening again. I don't know what the problem could be. My system specs:

AMD Anthon 64 3000+
1024 DDR Corsair Ram
GeForce 6800GT 256MB
2x 80GB Western Digital Hard Drives
On-Board Sound
Generic PSU 450W Power Supply Newegg's Description

After the format, everything was first updated using the CDs provided with all of the parts for the computer (The CDs were the only things used when I first put the computer together and it worked perfectly, so I thought be installing the same ones, I could just have this problem fixed once and for all). After the install of those drivers and a restart later, nothing worked. I went online to re-update with possible newer updates and after those, still nothing.

What do you all suggest? A Sound Card? New PSU? A program to fix this? Anything and everything will help, but I would like to have a pretty good idea on whats causing this to happen before I go out spending the small paycheck I get on a problem such as this. Thanks all!

did you install a P2P program (such as limewire, kazaa, etc.)

you might have downloaded spyware or viruses, etc.

download spybot search and destroy, ad adware, AVG, and avast! and see if you get any viruses and spyware (and no, norton doesn't help, norton is crap)

btw do you have a spare PSU? plug that in and see if you get any problems

you might have a program that takes up a lot of resources running as well, check the task manager when you get lag

I will do all as you say. I do not have a spare PSU, and I will consider buying a new one after I do the 4 scans with those 4 programs listed above. Task manager only has 28 processes running and under 'msconfig' everything is unchecked. I will check back as soon as the scans are done.

No I do not have Limeware/Kazaa/WinMX/360Share/eTomi/Morpheus or any p2p sharing programs.

Those all had a few finds. But adaware just found some tracking-cookies.. get those all the time. So it isnt anything major to say that that was the problem. I don't want to spend forever re-formatting if i dont have to.

Recently before I formatted, I DID put in a new hard drive... Could that have any effect on this?? Should I buy a new power supply or buy a sound card instead of on-board sound.. what are the chances that that will fix it? I don't know, I just feel as if I am out of options and I will always have to live with this. I will try another re-format in a few days, unless I can fix this ahead of time.

that shouldnt have any effect on ur sys performance, yeah u should just backup ur data, formatting doesnt take that long, everytime i reformat i do it like in 45 minutes, but what i dont like to do is customize my pc the way it used to be :< and u should try to borrow another psu from a buddy to test if thats the problem, if it is u can just get a new one

What do I look for when buying a PSU? Anything to look for to make sure it is compatible with my system? I can try borrowing from a friend, but i just need to know about compatibility issues.

What I do not understand is.. I formatted 4-5 days ago, the computer worked fine for 2 days. Then after two days, it started up again...

Well.. if I have to buy a sound card as well. I am looking to spend.. hmm, well I have $280.00 but I want to buy some 5.1 surround speakers and such. I'm now concered for my computer to actualy work, so making the proper budget assesment is something I need to think about.

I can spend anywhere from 50-100 on a PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom