LCD Display Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaTinyDragon

Solid State Member
Can anyone help me with on fixing my IBM ThinkPad Notebook. The type is 2647-4AU. I was going to turn it on normally like I always do but this time nothing came up on the Screen. Everything else runs fine, the Drive, Harddrive, power lights on, fan running but the screen black. This is really starting to freak me out and I need explainations and adivce, plus can anyone help me fix it somehow. Thank! I really need a replie ASAP!!

That's a serious problem that requires expert analyse and advice.

It could be a multiple of things, I would get someone to look at it.

Yeah, I should but in the meanwhile, is there anyone else who has exprienced this before or probably an expert computer tech who knows about this problem? I will try all of your adivces.

Laptops are always a pain in the ass to troubleshoot since a lot of it is proprietary and really hard to "tinker" with. Search IBM's support site regarding no display for your model. It could be a common problem they have released a fix for (bios/firmware update) or the end of the road for your screen.

I used to do tech support for IBM. Their ThinkPads are usually pretty sturdy and their screens can be very expensive to replace without a warranty.

I had that problem too, I got pissed and smacked my laptop, my screen started to act really screwy but then finally worked. Might have been a loose connection or something. At first nothing would boot then I got it to boot and the harddrive was spinning and all but then the damn screen wouldn't turn on. I wouldn't take apart the laptop unless you know what your doing, it's a pain.

Err.. after reading my own post, I realized it might be a little difficult performing some type of bios/firmware update without a screen...

unless you hook it up to your monitor if the option is available, which would be a good starting point to see if it's an LCD problem only or complete system issue. If you can see your desktop on a monitor, the LCD is the culprit. Otherwise, you'd be looking at something else.

Ahh... Thats the problem, my warranty is up. Seiken do you have any ideas as to helping it because I have tired using external screens and it still won't work. Any tips or adivce you used to give?

Doing a quick search on the IBM Support site I found the following:

No video display on the ThinkPad LCD

1. Verify the ThinkPad system is powered on.
If the ThinkPad system power status indicator Power status indicator is not illuminated, then see Troubleshooting Power issues.

2. Ensure the system is not in suspend mode by pressing and holding the Fn key for 10 seconds.

3. Toggle between the internal LCD display and an external CRT display by pressing the Fn and F7 keys simultaneously on the ThinkPad keyboard.
Notes:
* The Presentation Director menu window may interfere with the functionality of the Fn and F7 keystroke.
* There are generally three display mode settings to toggle through (LCD, CRT, and both).
* Some ThinkPad models only support two display modes. CRT only or LCD only.

4. Disconnect any external displays.

5. Power down the system.
If the system is attached to a docking station or port replicator, then remove the ThinkPad system.

6. Verify that the display works on startup for ThinkPad A, G, R, T, and X series systems.
Power on the computer and then the "Press F1 for IBM BIOS Setup Utility" or "To interrupt normal startup, press the blue Access IBM button" message is displayed at the lower left area of the screen.

7. Contact your local Support Center if there is still no video display on the ThinkPad LCD. Your ThinkPad may need service. :(

If problem continues.. call tech support and see how much it would cost to replace the screen to see if it's worth it or not.

My gosh! I think I need it replaced for around $600!! Thats soo messed up. I mean everything else works finE!!! ARGG! I am soo pissed now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom