Computer locks up

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilowe

Daemon Poster
Well, I'm having a new small problem with my computer that I built. It's been up and running for about a week now, and I'm still slowly installing my applications on it.

Sometimes, usually while I'm in the middle of installing something from a CD, my computer will lock up.

I've done a couple of upgrades on it, buecause it wasn't quite what I wanted.

It now has two DVD drives, one is a writer
80 GB Western Digital Hard Drive
P4 2.6 GHz processor 800 FSB
8x ATI Radeon 9600 Graphics card
350 W Power Supply

I'm wondering if the power supply is maybe a little small, and that's why it locks up when I 'm reading something from a CD.

Any feedback would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance.

what kind of heat sinc and fan do u have, and is it working properly? and what OS is it?

The heat sink and fan are the basic one that comes with the processor, and they seem to be working properly.

the os is Windows 2000, and is completely updated.

Also, I realized I didn't say what the mobo is, in case that matters. The box says MSI 865PE Neo2.

Thanks

it could be the sound device which is buggering it up ive only know it to do it on XP however it could do it to 2000, ive only had the problem with the onboard sound with th edrivers that come with it it screws up on XP maybe 2000 not sure just something to look into thats all :D

Check your RAM speed. The new mobo like your MSI sometime support only 333 MHz and higher.
Your mobo manual should tell you that, if not, check on their websites as all board specs are usually available.
Otherwise, you got a nice system there

I have 256 MB of DDR400 RAM.

I'll look into the onboard sound card. The sound is built into the mobo, and I'm using the drivers that came with the mobo.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom