Ram Oc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
I see alot of things refering to OCing ram in timings like: 2-2-2-5 or something like that. Question: What does that mean? When I OC my CPU it automatically OCs my RAM accordingly, How do you do it manually and why would you? Thanks.

ram timings is how long it takes for your ram to perform certain cycles (ill let others get more into detail)

you also have to set your latency timings in your mobo bios. go to www.cpuid.com and get cpu-z to check ur timings.

When you OC your processor, you must OC your RAM also. Your processor works alot faster then your RAM, so increasing cpu speed without RAM speed will not work stably. RAM timings are extremely simple to understand. RAM timings are the delay your processor must wait, for your RAM to process data. Since processors are that much faster then RAM, they must add timings. Or your RAM would get fluded with data, it would be complete disorder. The lower the latency, the faster your RAM can start handling data. Once your system is OC, your RAM speeds will increase.. Voltage must be increased, so it has the electrical power is needs to work at a faster rate. Increase in speed and voltage leads to bigger latency. When you OC, you must loosen timings. Your RAM determines how loose they need to be. TCCD chips can handle more speed and voltage per timing. Which means you can OC much more, while having low latency.

Your system will OC your RAM according to your HTT frequency. But your system is not responsible for RAM timings. You must set them.

It depends on your RAM. What type of RAM it is, and what your timings are already. I see you have Geil RAM. Which is not good for OC. With that type of RAM, the timings would already be high. So you cant really configure them. I would just OC, but dont expect to much. You should stick with a 200-300mhz OC tops. Intil you invest in so good RAM. If you have cheap RAM, you cannot OC very far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom