Upgrading...mobo and AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: I see words now! It turns out that the CPU frequency jumpers were set to 166Mhz, and I needed to take them back down to 133Mhz. Silly, but that did that part of it.

Now, I have a new prob. Seems my PC does not want to boot all the way. After getting to the selection screen asking about safe mode and such (XP), I select anything and it reboots. I tried booting from the CD, but that doesn't complete, as it says that "Setup is starting Windows", but nothing happens and it sits there. I am going to reset the CMOS again, but any other suggestions?

Thanks!

CMOS resetting did not work. I am pulling my hair out here. Cannot boot from CD, or enter Safe Mode, or anything. I am NOT happy.

do a memtest just to make sure. You can find a good one here .

Hmm.. You say you got to the part when you are asked to boot in safe mode etc. Are you saying that you just put your old harddrive in the new computer? This hardly ever works. It should be able to boot from CD though....

Are you able to enter your BIOS now. If so, check and make sure that the boot from CD is enabled (usually is but you never know)
Then put in your bootable CD (XP) and select repairs and go from there.
It will reinstall XP but will not reformat your drive so your other data will be saved.
Just went over that repair stuff over the week-end with a buddy of mine.

Unfortunately, when I boot up from the CD, I get the follwing problem:

It goes through all sorts of loading information at the bottom, and then gets to "Setup is Starting Windows". Then, it just stops doing everything and sits there. Nothing at all.

I tried with both my regular HD and a blank 8GB one to try and do a fresh install, and both did the same thing. I can get nowhere now. I tried to fix some settings in the BIOS and jumpers, but I still have nothing.

Here are a couple questions to chew on that may help if I had answers:

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2100+
Graphics Card: Palit 256Mb GeForce FX5600

Do I set the jumpers for the CPU Frequency to 100/133 or 166?
Do I set the Bios AGP Aperature size to 256Mb or 128Mb?
Could it be something in the Bios that is doing this? It is a familiar Phoenix bios for anyone familiar with that.

Thanks again for the continued help, folks!

I have now tried every bloody thing (just flashed the BIOS, changed AGP Aperature, etc...) and still no luck.

Cannot boot from CD: It is the XP upgrade CD - does that matter? Do I need a full version CD?

Still not getting a beep from the PC Speaker on boot.

Should I just take this into a repair shop? It may just be a memory versus mobo thing and I will have to live with that fact...but I don't want to.

And now, for more information:

I was able to stop the blue screen when booting from the drive with XP already on it. It mentioned that Windows had to stop, and here were the technical specs:

*** STOP 0x0000007B (0xF8951640, 0x00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

No beeps still, and it won't verify DMI Pool Data either. I will continue to look up solutions on this board about the pool data bit as well and see if any help from there, but anyone with help here would be my hero.

Do 2 things before you go to a repair shop.

Check that the cable for your pc speaker is connected correctly to your mobo.

Run a memtest, www.memtest86.com. It creates a boot disk.

I tried the cable both ways, still no dice on that one.

I ran the memtest from the link you sent me on the new mobo and it checked out 100% Pass after 20 mintues. Then it started over again. The BIOS's RAM test loops three times before stopping, so I was wondering if this one did the same or if it is just on endless loop (didn't have the patience to wait another 40 minutes at 2am).

When I flashed the BIOS, the DMI pool data did verify and "update ESCD" was also "........successful". But then I tried to boot from CD, and no luck.

When booting in Safe Mode on the old HD, it gets to a certain point before displaying the error - it tries to load Mup.sys. Don't know if that helps at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom