Trying to decide on a new MOBO ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean66

In Runtime
I see that a lot of these 939 boards say they have 1000 FSB hypertransport. Can someone tell me what that means. I got this off of this board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128283

I was looking at saving some money and possibly getting this board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128286

... but now I see that this board only has an 800 FSB hypertransport.

Am I gonna notice any difference between the two or should I just get the better board. The first one also seems to have dual LANS, although, I'm not really sure what you would use those for.

Thanks in advance.

there's really no difference, since most of the time you won't even use up to 800, and it can be bumped up to 1000 by OCing

also, both of those boards you listed sucks

check out the DFI lanparty ultra-d, it's much, much better

I thought Gigabyte made good quality stable boards. What makes you say they suck.

This build is for a friend whose old mobo went dead. It was only a socket A Duron 1.2 Ghz, so almost anything will seem like a big jump. I'm trying to be cost conscious so as not to break the bank on top of the line components. I definitely want to get him a 939 board with 4 DDR slots that runs stable and will be reliable. Overclocking is not big on the priority list as of now, but if the difference in price isn't too great, I wouldn't mind it. I'm still kind of undecided on AGP or PCI express, although I know that PCI-e will be the standard in the future.

for sure, PCI-E. no benefit yet over AGP but it will show in the not too distant future. the DFI is a very good board, for whatever you want to do, and is one of, if not the best 939 overclocking board on the market today. well worth the extra few dollars. and hey, just do the mod on the chipset and wallah you have yourself an ultra D with SLi :) all it takes is a pencil, unless they have since disabled the use of that mod in the newer revision boards.

I have a DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250Gb, its obviously not the same as the new NF4 boards, but i have to say DFI as a company make damn good stuff, this board has never given me any trouble, everything is simple and well though out, layout on their boards could not be better :)

save you and your friend some problems down the track and get the best 939 board you can now, instead of running into trouble with a cheaper less reliable board.

I would also agree, the best choice for mobo would be a DFI Lanparty either the ultra-d or if your friend decides he does want to splash out go with the Sli-D/Sli-DR. There is really no need for 4 DDR slots as 1 Gig of ram is more than enough for now.

Drworm2005.

Question:
If you don't plan on overclocking, is it really necessary to get a high quality mobo?

Why wouldn't you wanna overclock? Runnin gon stock speed, that's like driving a car with FWD and stock parts, BORING!!

Hacp said:
Question:
If you don't plan on overclocking, is it really necessary to get a high quality mobo?

The mobo is the thing that connects everything in the PC together, being one of the most important parts of the PC

For how cheap good mobo's are, its defiantly worth it to get a good one.

That board just has an error with it's specifications I assume, newegg probably just slapped in some socket 754 specifications by accident. If your CPU is socket 939 your board with support a 1000MHz HTT speed. If it doesn't, frankly that just tells you it's a POS.
there's really no difference, since most of the time you won't even use up to 800, and it can be bumped up to 1000 by OCing
He won't even have to overclock to achieve the full HTT speed, he just needs to bump up the LDT ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom