Saving your Settings Hangs - SP1 wont help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon

Beta member
Hello,
I have a annoying prob.
I upgrated my Windows XP Pro to SP1 and the saving your settings screen still hangs for me, and when i shutdown my PC almost all of the progs in the system tray hang aswall.

Any ideas?

Thank's,
Leon.

Well guys? could anybody help me? its realy importent to me.. I waited a long time but no response..

Please, if anybody knows how to fix it.. just say:(

Thank's for replying.
I tryed that already, but the one thing that hangs after i do it is the connection tray.. I can't turn it off from the Task Manager.

I think that the problem is my USB modem...
I can't change the modem.

Its a clean install of XP.

Leon.

I would try to unplugg all external devices that were not nessesary. i.e. cable modem(if usb) all other usb devices. the only things i would have plugged up is the mouse monitor and keyboard. Try shutting down like that. If still no go you could try to boot to safe mode (by tapping F8 when the computer first starts up) and see if it will shut down in safe mode and if it does shut down from safemode than like microbell said it could be a prog. in the background or even a service windows starts. In which case you would go into msconfig and clear the un-needed startup items and non-microsoft services.

Did all that...
The thing is that it hangs only after caple of days the Internet connection is on.. Or when i Close the Connection, A thing that i can't do because it hangs (Close the connection).
I will try to explain the situation:
1.The Computer is on.
2. After a caple of day it's on or if i try to close the connection it hangs (The 2 Computers icon in the task bar).
3. After this happens i try to shutdown my computer but the Connection tray hangs and a dialog box appears and i need to terminate the connection.
4. After that the computer will hang on the "Saving Your Setting" screen.

I know computers, i disabled unnecessary Services and Startup items..
I tried Formatting and reinstalling Windows numerous times, it didnt help.
I think the problem is the modem.. Or could it be something else?

Im sorry for my grammar, its not my native language...

Thank's,
Leon.

I have the same exact problem on my computer.
My system conf:
Windows XP Pro + SP1
D-Link DSL-200 modem

Since this problem seems to be quite unlikely I haven't found any info around. I'll be very glad if you can spare some info.

I get EXACTLY the same problem

I think i have worked out its when i have downloaded and uploaded a certain amount (normally when its between 1gb and 2)

I have no idea how to fix it, none at all.

Had this problem for about half a year now, all i do is turn it off by the power button (which is bad i know)

Tried reinstalling, clean formatting everything.

Happens to my friend as well (we have the same adsl modem, a USB bt voyager one), i thought we were the only two it happened to till i saw this thread!

:(

Voyager 100

Greeno4England, I have a Voyger 100 UBS modem from BT as well. I have been using it without problem for about six months. However, the same error you have described started appearing about a week ago (i.e. I can't disconnect, and my computer won't shut down properly - not even forcing the connection tray to quit will work (I get that option at shut down)). I haven't had any time to investigate the problem properly, but will spend an evening soon trying to go over all of the software updates, installations, and changes I have made in the past week or so. I'll let you know if I stumble upon anything that works.

Voyager 100

OK, it actually only took a few minutes to narrow it down to one very suspicious change and that was an upgrade to MSN Messenger 6.2. I am further suspicious of this because there are two people who use my computer and we have profiles set up for each. Messenger was actually only set up for one profile, and this problem only really appears when that profile has been accessed. If the profile without Messenger 6.2 is used I can connect, disconnect, and shut down at will. Even after deinstalling 6.2, though, the problem with the other profile remains. It seems to have been permanently tainted. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom