DDR400 vs DDR 600

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
Wow, i just saw on newegg OCZ DDR600 RAM, loox pretty good except the Cas latency is 2.5 and the timing is 2.5-4-4-10

i was wondering if this is better than the DDR 400 OCZ with 2 cas latency and 2-2-2-5 timing...

I will have 2x512 in dual channel, and i am pretty sure i'll overclock, don't know how much i will though.. yet

So is it worth getting ddr 600?

The reason DDR600 has such high latency's is because of its speed. I hope your aware DDR600 will be downclocked. I wouldent waste my money on it, since you gain nothing but OC room. Although what are the chances of you OC G Skill PC3200 or OCZ Platinum Rev2 beyond its architecture limit.

boards only support DDR400

if you get DDR600 ram, it operates at DDR400 when you put it in, but it is guaranteed that the ram CAN be overclocked to DDR600 using those latencies (2.5-4-4-10 or w/e they claim)

and btw, latencies don't affect your performance

In order to obtain a true DDR600 speed link, you'd need to either lower your multiplier and raise your HTT speed accordingly, or just go all out and overclock your HTT (although you'd still most likely have to lower the multiplier since your CPU would most likely max out before reaching the RAM speed).

hmm... i'll get the Athlon 64 FX 55 so i'm not sure i'll max out...
and what do you mean latencies don't affect performace? then what are they for???

It won't make any difference if you buy a 3000+ or an FX-55, they both have a default 200MHz HTT speed meaning you're either going to have to lower the multiplier and raise the HTT, or just raise the HTT speed. You'd have even more of a chance of maxing out your CPU with an FX-55 as the multiplier is higher meaning raising your HTT speed is gonna increase your CPU speed even more.

Latency is always a common misconception. Latency affects the stability of the memory. In order to accomadate higher speeds, timings have to be loosened. Bandwidth and latency have little impact on one another.

Middle latency's have a bandwidth affect

2-2-2-5 is sure alot faster than 2.5-4-4-8, but with ram that fast, who cares about timings :)

lol... so i could get the OCZ DDR400, overclock it and still kick @$$ right??? yay!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom