Wipe all deleted files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delete them yourself, is what i suggest. Having a program like that can really mess up stuff. Also, once you delete them from where ever they are delete them from your recycle bin and there ya go.

There aren't many programs that do this anyhow.

actually when you delete them from the recycle bin they are still technically held on your harddrive, only way to get rid of it fully is copy over the space where it is held. This is done by filling your hard drive or by a program. Defrag should get rid of most of the information left behind, not all
a good program to use is http://www.quickwiper.com/articles/wipe_file_why_and_how.htm

Sephiroth said:
I want a freeware program that can wipe all deleted files.

I am confused as to what you are looking for... can't you just empty the recycle bin?

I think he wants to be sure they're removed from his HD altogether but as fafnir said they are technically still on your HD until windows installs new software in that space.

and without wipeing them they can still be recovered, whether by the fbi or other parties after say selling or donating your old computer, or people jacking harddrives for sensative company files. It can pose a big security risk, whether a legal risk or monetary loss

Ah yes, so the question becomes... Sephiroth, what are you doing that needs to have your computer files completely wiped? Are you running from the FBI? :p

How long do these usually take, it's really not a big deal at all so if it's gonna take 10+ hours I can just forget it.

Does a reformat get rid of everything for good, or can it be recovered even then.

Thing is I'm like a neat freak, everything's got to be perfectly organized and such, somehow the though of anything but nicely aranged 1s and 0s on my drive makes it seem disorganized.

even a re-format might leave some information on there. safest/ easiest things to do is get a wipe or perform a defrag. Again a defrag isn't perfect but it is pretty damn close

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom