RAID vs Raptor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlkShdw88

In Runtime
i am gathering details on items i will get for next pc in a few weeks/month and i am wondering if i am beta off spending heaps on a 74gb wd raptor or getting two 80gb drives and put in RAID 0 or 0 + 1 depending on wat i feel like.. lol.. umm yeh how much performance difference would there be between 2 80gb in RAID or 74gb 10k raptor? i like the idea of more space with the 2 80gb drives but would they b faster than a raptor single? opinions?

Using 2 drives in RAID 0 will be faster than a single raptor. Also you get more space, so it's better value for money.

i agree with m3trj 2 drives in raid0 is much faster than one raptor its also cheaper and gives more space. make sure the hard drives u do get though are 8mb cache as ive seen some 2mb 80gig drives around and they arent so good :)

This is a common misconception, but two drives in RAID 0 do not have faster access times than a single 10,000RPM drive, plain and simple.

In theory a RAID 0 should allow half the access time to be obtained, but this is if you take into consideration that this is making reference to the burst speed. Drives will never perform anywhere close to this burst speed meaning that although a RAID 0 array may decrease access times slightly, it will only be by one or two seconds at most.

If you haven't gotten the hint by now, we'll spell it out for you: there is no place, and no need for a RAID-0 array on a desktop computer. The real world performance increases are negligible at best and the reduction in reliability, thanks to a halving of the mean time between failure, makes RAID-0 far from worth it on the desktop.

Read this and you can judge the true performance benefits of RAID 0 in a realworld enviroment (aka not SiSandra burst speed benchmarks) and answer the question yourself. Unless space is an issue, a Raptor will always be faster than any two 7200RPM drives in a RAID 0.

Gaara, is completely correct. I though dual 7200rpm drives would exceed the speed of a single 10000rpm drive. Just not possible. Raptors are extremely fast, even more so when running raid0.

So I want to get this straight too. One 7200 rpm drive is fast. Two drives at 7200 rpm in RAID0 is faster. A raptor at 10000 rpm is even faster. That must mean... two raptors in RAID0 would be insanely fast... I think that sounds like a lovely idea!

7200rpm drives arent fast, thats normal. Dual 7200rpm drives in raid0 would be pretty fast. But those 10000rpm drives are extremely fast, even better running on raid0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom