Reinstall XP: "How could I keep WinXP really fast & stable for 2 years ?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayen15

Baseband Member
Hi,

I need to reinstall Windows XP on my computer. I would like to keep Windows running on my system without doing a reinstall or having problems for 2 years (stable and fast). I could only maintain the computer 1 time a month because I don't have the time to do it every day/week, my parents will be working on the computer every day (1 hour a day).

So I was wondering how I have to set up my system to keep it running without a reinstall for 2 years.

This is the list that I have made:

-Partitions
Maxtor 80 GB HDD,
C: NTFS 20 GB (WINDOWS)
D: NTFS 60 GB (DATA)

C: Windows and Program Files will be here. I have chosen for NTFS because it was made for the NT kernel, and it will give good system performance (I hope).
D: I will place the "My Documents" folder from C to D, so a system crash won't mess the Word Documents up. There will be DATA like zip,setupfiles,software,backups,information,.. on this partition.

Software:

Security
1. Mozilla Firefox (Build P4 + Tweaks) (Secure browser)
2. AntiVirus (=NOD32) (Prevent Viruses)
3. Zone Alarm (Firewall)
4. SpywareBlockList (BlockList)
- Maintain -
1. CrapCleaner (Reg-&TempClean)
2. HitMan Pro (Spyware remove)
3. Microsoft Spyware (Spyware Prevention)
- Drivers -
1. NVIDIA (Graphic Card)
2. Sound Blaster (Soundcard)
3. LiteOn (Monitor)
5. Intel Application Accelerator (Faster hardware communication)

Endusers
- Basic -
1. Microsoft Office 2003 (Word-Excel-PowerPoint)
2. MSN7 (MSN Chat)
3. WinRAR (Unrar/unzip/..)
4. Mozilla Thunderbird (Mail Checker)
- Usage: Sometimes -
1. LeechGET (Download Manager)
2. K-Lite Codec Pack (Codecs)
3. mIRC (IRC Chat Client)
4. Nero 6 (CD/DVD's burning)
5. Van Dale Woordenboek DU/NL/EN (Dictionary's)

- Usage: Not often -
1.Alcohol 120% (CD/DVD Emulation)
2.DreamWeaver PACK (Webdesign)
3. Acrobat Reader Pro (Open PDF Files)

-Auto Logon XP on GuestAccount
-Services.msc Safe Patch of BlackViper.COM
-Turn off Visual Effects
-Placing Swapfile on 512-512
-Clean up swapfile when shutting down
-Turn off Thumbs.db
-Turn off "Documents" history

Each month I will:
Update all software
Software: "Maintain"
Windows Defragment C and D
Do a Virusscan & Spyware scan
Make a backup of Windows and a backup of the most important files.

Do you guys have more suggestions to keep Windows clean & fast?
And also, do you think my system is able to work for 2 years without a reinstall? (P4T-E 2GHz, 512 MB RAM)

Thank you,

Rayen

I hate to say this, but there is no guarenteed way to keep you from re installing. However, you can use windows washer to delete old things that you no longer need. I suggest doing a defrag with diskeeper every time you get the chance. That is about all i can think of.

I thought Window Washer just removes temporary files and Window Washer & Microsoft Anti-Spyware Cleaner do the same things?

Also, I read that Diskeeper uses the Windows Defragment feature, so there is really no good reason to use it right?

You'd be very surprised how good diskeeper is. Windows washer and microsoft anti spyware cleaner do not do the same thing. Washer does temp files and things like that.

Anti-spyware cleans up things like spyware obviously.

I suggest deleting thins you do not need, expesially with a 20 gig hard drive as master. This isn't small but once you start putting programs on your computer, it gets dirty.

Well, actually, hopefully by the end of the next two months Blitze105 and I shall have made a comptuer upkeep site. We're trying now, but it's hard to put it all into HTML while creating it at the same time. Once we create this, we'll give you the link, if you're still active at this site, and it'll keep your computer running top-notch for years to come.

-SkyHi

That would be cool, but unfortunetaly I will have to get this system up before June the 15th. So what's currently the most effective program that helps you to keep everything up? And I was also wondering do those Registry Clean up programs mess up your registry (ex. if they remove the 'wrong keys') which will force you to do a reinstall because not everything is working correctly ?

Blitze105: Maybe you are right, have you ever tryed Microsoft Anti-Spyware, it has a "Track Eraser" , it can remove tracks of 50 or more programs. But I know what you mean with Window Washer, it can erase tempfiles like C:\windows\prefetch, window washer is something like CrapCleaner (which can cleanup registry,tempfiles,application temp files,etc)

i think that a good spyware program and a good, updated antivirus program will defenitely keep your computer clean!

erm.. you still didn't say why exactly you want to reinstall windows.. if you don't want to reinstall for two years.. well, you don't have to reinstall for two years.. it's that simple :D if you have virus on your computer.. get a firewall, if you have little space, try to keep your computer organized, if your computer is slow, upgrade, defrag, switch to linux.. so tell me, why do you need to reinstall?

Re:

Hello,

I can't deliver it more plainly than... 'Take gud care'ov er'...

My system's been running top notch I'd say, acceptable anyways. Admittedly, there are a few things I can do to further boost the performance and stability of my system, but do practice thoroughly in keeping my system healthy...

I rely mostly on my Norton Systemworks to keep my system well protected and performing at it's best. I make sure my Anti-Virus Software is contantly up to date and am always on the alert for any malicious programs, emails and websites etc.

I use the trusty Lavasoft Ad-Aware to scan my PC when I think it necessary (usually every few weeks) and I defrag my system whenever needed. I also use SpywareBlaster to keep Internet Browsing protected. Not forgetting, a basic checkdisk on my HDD regularly.

I use Norton WinDoctor to diagnose and repair any problems in Windows XP and CleanSweep to rid of any space wasting files. Like many I also keep my files well organised (including desktop icons and the start menu), try to keep redundant data at the minimum and make sure that my system drivers are the latest using Windows Update and manual downloads.

Keeping your system 'Firewalled' is something you can't neglect when you're connected to the net. Activate your Windows XP Firewall or invest in firewall software. If you have more than one computer networked together and hooked to the Internet, don't go without a NAT firewall somewhere within the network.

I thinks those are all the main things I do...can't think of anything else :confused: . Oh...I do partition my Hard Drive to better organise and protect my files. I've three partitions, one with Windows XP as my main OS, the second with Windows 2000 installed for when Windows XP crashes, for diagnostics or for a change, and the third partition holds all my personal data files.

I also crack open my case regularly as most 'computer lovers' do, and commit to the monthly cleaning of dust and dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom