hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

jm85

Baseband Member
out of curiosity,,, would one 36 raptor have faster access times than two 80 gb. wd 7200 drives in a raid 0 config.. just curious regardliss of disk size

The Raptor would be faster. Just for a recommendation, always partition everything. This leads to faster access to data.

arent u worried about a raid 0 config with two 36 raptors? cuz if one fails the two are trash

They arent trash, and this does not apply for Raptors ONLY. Any board running raid0, has this same risk. If something happens to one HDD, then all your data is lost. Depending on the problem, you can always use them again. But if 1 HDD brakes, the other is just fine. But how often do you hear of any HDD failures? If a HDD brakes, either way the data is lost. Remeber raid0 utilizes 2 HDD as one. So you really have 1. I have 2 raptors in raid0. My friend has been using 2 raptors on raid0 for almost 2 years. This summer me and my friend will have 4 raptors on raid0. Either way if a HDD brakes, its gone.

always partition everything. This leads to faster access to data.
no it doesnt. from what iv heard that may be true with old win98 Fat32. but XP NTFS doesnt benefit at all from partitioning.
----------------------------------

If someone can affored 2 raptors in raid0, then i would guess thy also have a larger capacity drive on a different controler used to store more sensitive data. so it wouldnt realy matter if the raid failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom