PCI-Express 1x???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean66

In Runtime
I see boards now have some of these type of slots as well as the PCI express 16. for new video cards. What are the 1x slots used for?

Those are just regular PCI slots I believe, for PCI vid cards, not PCI-E. Not many cards use them. Most cards are either AGP 4x/8x, or PCI-E 16x.

They are not regular PCI slots. The are much smaller than a regular PCI slot, the only thing I know of so far that uses them are some motherboard makers have their onboard sound in them instead of a chip built into the motherboard.

You can theroretically plug a PC capture card, network card, sound card, RAID card ect into them.

However everyone is too lazy to switch over right now

No you actually cant. The slot is so small that regular PCE cards will not fit. The card has to be specifically made for it.

003 said:
No you actually cant. The slot is so small that regular PCE cards will not fit. The card has to be specifically made for it.

Did I ever say PCI cards? No i was refering these devices in PCI-E format hence the comment about the manafacters being lazy

The PCI-E interface will eventually accomodate all the current PCI interface cards you see right now (eg. network, sound cards) and eliminate PCI altogether. This situation is no different between ISA slots being eliminated with the birth of PCI cards.

If you want to see a card which will most definately use the PCI-E interface on release, see this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom