Ddr2 Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayniac

Daemon Poster
So... since I know nothing about it... what does everyone know about DDR2 RAM. What kind of systems is it for and such?

Strictly Intel LGA775 platforms. Apart from that all you need to know is it's expensive and is a pretty poor DDR variation. I would avoid it if at all possible for as long as possible.

Well, thanks then. First off, I am pretty much AMD all the way. Second, I actually thought it was the "future of RAM" by the way it sounded. That was shot like a balloon. Oh well... I'm sure it won't be long before new better RAM comes out though... right?

DDR2 is technically the future as AMD will be shifting to it with the next platform known as Socket M2 (revised socket 940 basically) and DDR1 will basically die out after that point. AMD was simply waiting for DDR2 to drop to the current prices of DDR1 so we don't all spend a fortune on new machines.

Consider it a stepping stone though, DDR3 is already planned and XDR RAM which is manafactured by rambus are both possibilities of future platforms beyond DDR2. XDR is more appealing with DDR3 speeds at DDR1 latency but it will most likely be expensive which gets to be a turn off and makes it hard to press to the market. DDR3 will correct all the problems that DDR2 boasts though, and DDR2 is slowly improving anyways.

DDR2 was really a bad variation of memory though, video card manufacturers recognised this which is why a GDDR2 card is like nonexistant...

huh... so in the far future, if I want a top of the line computer, I seriously need to go all out and get a new motherboard that can run DDR2 RAM, DDR2 RAM, and obviously a new processor that is socket 940... and I bet they'll only make them with PCI-express too, causing me to buy a new graphics card. Sounds like this could get expensive anyway.

Oh, nononono, I must have phrased that wrong. Socket M2 does not equal the current socket 940 opteron platform availible now. The only similarity is the pin count. You wouldn't want an opteron for home consumer use anyways, then you'd have to deal with buffered RAM and a bunch of other fun (expensive) stuff. ;)

Best bet right now would be a Venice core on a socket 939 lanparty nf4. You'll be set for a while with that since you can easily pop in a Toledo once multithreaded applications start replacing singlethreaded ones and then you'll be set for even longer.

wow... that is a pretty sweet motherboard. I'll have to get that when I upgrade... but then again, by the time I upgrade, there will be something better out. Right now I have an AGP slot, but a 6800 GT. That'll last me a while, and I probably won't upgrade my motherboard until I need something besides socket 939, or I need PCI-Express slots. I think I'm set for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom