Windows 2000 Pro Logon Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnP

Beta member
Ok, I am getting this exact error message when trying to logon to Windows 2000 professional:

The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain are correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case. Make sure that Caps Lock is not accidentally on.

I know the password for my user name and I am using the correct case in the password and my user name is definately correct. The believe that the problem is that for some reason the domain name is not showing up on the login screen. I cannot get past the logon screen AT ALL!!! This is occuring on a family members laptop, they are required to have it for school so we bought it from the school and I did not get the OS cd from them, so if I need that, I guess we will have to wait until school starts after the Thanksgiving holidays.

I hope that this was enough information for you, if not i can give you more. If you could post a reply and tell me a possible solution I would appreciate it. Thanks.

if the domain is not visable, then you have probably been removed from it for some reason. If this is the case, you will not be able to log on due to the Account using a cached domain Guid. You will have to log on via a local account to get on the machine.
if you have check the option button on the log on screen and you can see the machine name, not the domain, change that to the domain. Then you can log on.
If you don't have the a local account, you are kind of SOL...
There is a tool that will get you past this, called ERD commander 2k or XP made by Wininternals, that will allow you to boot into the machine (NTFS is assumed) and change the local admin or user passwords without needing to log on. Very usefull for this kind of situation. Problem is the software is $200 for a single machine liscence.
Hope this helps...

thanks

thanks for the reply:D . I called a few of my friends and one of them had the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom