my cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

devil_warrior

In Runtime
im looking to upgrade my current graphics card to the monster nvidia 6800 ultra but my current processor is an AMD athlon XP 3000+ will it be alright to run say doom 3 on highest everything and still be smooth?

you might want to add another 512mb in there but it'll be fairly smooth, mind you at Ultra specs (doom3 Ultra settings) it still might lag when opening doors and such.

I have an XP-Mobile at 2.5GHz 1gb of RAM and a 6800GT clocked at 430/1150 and with it at Ultra settings, 1280x1024 resolution and 2x AA it'll lag when opening doors.

A 6800Ultra is stock 400/1000 so you know what I'm comparing my card to

nubius - wont that lag go away though if you just diable AA? Do you play with Vsync enabled??

and if you could post what fps you get in 'Timedemo demo1 1' on (High, 1280x, 0xAA, 8xAF). im curiouse to see how much more fps you setup gets then a system i recently tested(below)
---------------------------------------

devil_warrior - i recently tested a system (xp3000 400fsb, 1gb ram, 6600gt)

but i started out with 512ddr ram originally, and with 512ram i noticed some loading pausess in Halflife2 and Doom3, sorta like what nubius mentioned, but it doesnt happen at all doors(prolly same for him)

with 1gb of ddr ram, i noticed some of the pauses went away completely and others were less noticable.... so you may be better off getting a 6800gt + another 512ddr stick of ram.

unless you can aford the ram and the ultra i guess.

when i ran Doom3 'Timedemo demo1 1' on that system i got...
High, 1280x, 0xAA, 8xAF = 51.3fps

every level of lower resolution i put it, im was able to add 2xAA and it goes same of faster... example -
High, 1048x786, 2xAA, 8xAF = 53.4fps

Halflife was easyer to run at Highest settings,1280x 2xAA, 8xAF

Note- this is always with Vsync OFF

and if you could post what fps you get in 'Timedemo demo1 1' on (High, 1280x, 0xAA, 8xAF). im curiouse to see how much more fps you setup gets then a system i recently tested(below)
No I dont run it with Vsync and yeah it probably would go away with no AA :p or if I simply knocked it to high settings.....anywho you say high settings then 8x AF......Ultra specs = 8x AF in that game..

Ultra Settings, 2x AA and 1280x1024 I get 49FPS in the time demo

I'll run it at high settings but high settings = 6x AF, I'm pretty sure with that I'll get like 60+ fps. I'll post back here in a few

EDIT: High settings, 0AA, 1280x1024 = 70.5FPS
High settings, 2xAA, 1024x768 = 70.8FPS

not a huge difference between the two for me...you got 3 FPS difference I got .3 :p

i dont know witch version of Doom3 i was using to test, but i cant update it;)

im not shur if later versions havea AF option, but the only way for me to change it or check it was to use the cmd 'image_anisotropy' ...and on High settings that was always set to 8 by default for me.

Thx for the info though, i was just curiouse what kinda performance comparison there was between ~68gt and 66gt on the XP.

EDIT: i think 49fps was what i got at (ultra, 0xAA, 1024x) any higher and my fps would crap out.

well I can't update mine either so we're in the same boat :D

I've never used that command before, but as far as I'm aware of high settings = 6x af, ultra settings = 8x af, and things below that don't really concern me :p

high is 8xAF... AF prolly doesnt go up in incroments for diff settings. just the texture compression/resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom