pc switches off no warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoz

Beta member
i build alot of pc 4 people but this is a fault which has me knackered .
pc runs ok dut when playing games like boiling point and ut2004 the pc shuts down .
tryed to install xp on to a different drive when it gets to the agreement screen on xp it shuts down tried it 6 times switches off every time @the same place no warning canot switch on untill i pull the power lead out and plug it back in again .
pc works ok 24 7 untill i try to insall xp or play powerfull games .
pc spec

Motherboard Name Asus A7V8X-X
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 2083 MHz (12.5 x 167) 2800+
ram 1500 3 sticks of 333 512 crucial
maxtor 120gig hd
9600ultra abit card nvidia

please help tryed a new 550 w psu new ide leads unpluged drives swaped drives all thats left is mobo or pro or graph card

thanks speedoz

9600ultra abit card nvidia

lol....9600=ati ultra=nvidia abit=ati nvidia=nvidia

which card are you trying to say?

i suggest you try a new gfx card, since your current one might overheat in more gfx demanding apps such as games

What kind of power supply?

It's most likely video card overheating, power supply too crappy or bad ram.

Download and run Memtest86 to check for bad ram

It does kinda sound like a vid card overheating for when it restarts in games. It could also be your CPU overheating. What kind of temps do are you getting? It's an Asus, so the mobo CD should have ASUSProbe on it, for monitoring the temps.

As for installing XP and it restarting at the EULA screen: You might have a bad CD, try using another disc.

My first thought is "heat related."

Is the computer really shutting all the way off, or is the video going blank and never coming back (but the power light is still on)? If the power light is still on, suspect video. When video cards overheat, they usually shut down the video processor for safety, but the CPU is still running.

If it's CPU related, the whole machine might shut down or just freeze up. (Depends on which motherboard we're talking about.) Make sure that the heatsink is still properly attached tightly (and oriented correctly and all that) and the fan has power/isn't blocked/is spinning.

Might be memory, but I'm still leaning towards the heat angle. Download and run Memtest86 and give it a few tries. That might help narrow it down to CPU heat as well. Memtest86 doesn't have high video requirements, so any video card would be fine, but it really exercises the CPU.

tried changing ram no good graph card plays great on css no probs but real prob is xp pro install
pc switches off compleatly just led on mobo is lit always on same place on agreement press f8 to agree 2 late its off
vid card plays all movies not overheatting
temp on pro is 48.c not bad

please help lads ta speedoz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom