cpu-z shows 512 but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

straightv6

Not A Super Techie
when i right click>properties on my computer it only shows 256. i have 512 plugged in. what do i need to change for windows to recognize it?

If CPU-Z says you have 512 but windows XP says you have 256. CPU Z IS WRONG!!!!!

CPU-Z goes by the electronic signature on the RAM, and the RAM is telling CPU-Z that it is a 512mb stick, even though 256 is only being allocated for use.

If you want to find out how much RAM you have try this.......CTRL+ALT+DEL > Performance
If you have 512 it should say 523756 in the total amount( or close to that)
14602261572.jpg

Yeah but he went to properties on my computer which is never right practically...my moms laptop is shown as a 5MHz computer and it's a mobile 2400+ which is 1.8GHz stock....CPU-Z is always correct dude, especially compared to My computer>properties.

I wouldn't just tell him that because I love talking out my ass.

EDIT: BTW SPD is Serial presence detection it tells the RAM what speeds and timings to use based on the FSB and the capabilities of the RAM and CPU....it has nothing to do with the size allocated to it

I have first hand expirence that CPU-Z can be wrong. I threw in a stick of 256mb in someones computer and only 128mb of it came up. But CPU-Z said it was 256. Come to find out, the computer had a limit of 128 per module.

But for him it might be a possiblity.........

Edit: Yeah my bad, I just put that down because that is the tab you have to hit to check the size.

Uzi - that computer that you had that happen on was probably an old ass computer though correct?

I only assume that since you said the computer had such a low amount allowed per module.

Also you can check the size just by hitting "memory" and it'll say how much in the top left corner I think it is....but the SPD tables are mainly to show you what timings the RAM will run at, at the given speeds....some high performance RAM however will only have 2-2-2-5 listed....thats all mine does....however my kingston valueRAM will say "200MHz 3-3-3-8, 166MHz 2.5-3-3-7, 133MHz 2-2-2-5" listed in the tables like that, to indicate it would run at those timings at those speeds.

So unless his system is older and only allows like 256mb per slot CPU-Z should be right on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom