corrupted file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

urbanwks

Baseband Member
some time ago, i wiped my pc clean, as i do from time to time, because it gets quite a bit cluttered. then i go about reinstalling the programs i need. i think it was about the third time or so i rebooted after that, any files that i had transferred over to the larger. and still intact, hdd no longer worked. i found this quite odd, but most of the files were easily replaceable so i paid it no mind.

after a while, the larger of the two hard drives in my pc, which i use for program/music/video storage was mysteriously inaccessable and wiped out. i used several data restoration programs, and was able to recover the data from the drive and transfer it to another drive of the same size i added to the computer. the first time i recovered everything, it seemed that everything was fine until a certain point, the it would all become inaccessable again. so i took things one by one, and left out the things i thought were causing the problem. this worked beautifully for a few weeks, then now most of the same stuff i recovered is gone.

virus scan comes up with nothing. as do basically any other type of scan for adware/spyware/trojans, etc...

i was wondering if there could be a single corrupt file that could cause such a problem, but for the life of me i cant understand why it would wait some time to destroy everything.

i will also mention, because i found this interesting, the most recent time all of this data was wiped out, one of the only things remaining was the .vob files from a dvd that i was watching and had paused at the time.

im pretty positive this all relates back to the formatting of my windows drive, but im not sure how or why.

any ideas about what the problem could be, or how to fix it? i've run chkdsk many times...in fact, it was after a windows-initiated chkdsk that i believe this all started.

any help at all is greatly appreciated.

p.s. - i've googled :)

Good job googling! :)

1. i have to ask something, what all virus scanners did you use?
2. You need to have a good back up.. use norton ghost
3. I really cant solve this problem sorry, but these solutions make it less likely to loose data.
4. You have tried 2 hard drives correct?

it sound like your hard drive is about to die. do you have smart enable on it in the bios? this warn you beforehand about a drive that is going to go bad, so you can back up your data

yeah this has happened on two different hard drives, and i do actually[now] have a tape backup of the stuff i did recover.

as far as virus scans, i used norton, avg, and pandasoft.

it's just frustrating because there is quite a bit of data here and i'd like to do whatever i can to keep it.

though i did consider something. i've heard mention of sp2 doing crazy things to machines around here, and my pre-format primary hdd had sp2 installed. after format, could this have possibly screwed up my partition tables or something? and on the other hand, that doesnt even make sense because it's also happened on a hard drive that was never in the computer in the first place.

i dont know, i guess im just grasping at hope.

I got to ask is it a legit copy of xp? Microsoft might have lock your computer. you can't fix it unless you use power max to wipe he hard drive as microsoft put something in the master boot record and the xp cd or fdisk can't remove it

hmm thats an interesting theory i hadn't thought of. i may try that, but my primary hdd with windows on it is working perfectly. could it be possible that it would only screw up my secondary hard drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom