lost 8 gb???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_86_68

Solid State Member
umm... my computer has a 10 gb hard drive currently in it. i reformated it a week ago and ever since then, the hard drive has been reading as 1.99 gb.. how do i fix it? do i need a driver? do i need to update anything?

there is something on my c: drive propertys about drive comression. the c: drive was not comressed with 1.99 gb so i compressed it. nothing happened so i uncompressed it. it still has 1.99 gb

any help would be greatly apreciated :)

Mike

The OS is Windows 98.

my motherboard is a Columbia Mboard w/intel 440BX chipset
whatever that means...
i was not able to find the motherboard in the device manager. i didnt know where to look. i dont think it is partitioned. unless it is a hidden drive, which i had the option to do when i compressed the c: drive.

so... i ran fdisk in dos and found some intreasting stuff
i went into setup or something... cant remember BUT
it displayed

Partition - c: 1
Status - A
type - PRI DOS
volume label - WINDOWS
Mbytes - 2047
System - fat16
Usage 20% which would explain the other 8 gb
Total disk space is 10299 Mbytes

so... that is what it said
how do i make it say usage - 100 %???

you are using the wrong filing system for your purpose. fat16 supports up to 2GB maximum partitions, you screwed up the partitions when you used fdisk.

you should remake your partition from scratch and start all over except this time use fat32. remember to save all your data first. partition magic may be able to fix it but i would not recommend it in your case. learn from your mistakes.

Ok remember when you go in to fdisk make sure you hit yes you want to enable large disk support. or else with will make your disk size a max of 2 gigs and will format it in fat16 when you go to format instead of what it should be fat32

GRRRRRRR...

a little late bhoney.....

i just formated and EVERYTING
and i said no to the whole yes thing
now it is fat16 AND 1.99 GIGS

but now i can do it... YET AGAIN
i will say yes this time...
well.. here i go
i will keep you posted

Mike M

Status
Not open for further replies.