3DMark05 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayniac

Daemon Poster
What exactly does it mean if I run 3DMark05 and get booted out part way through the test? It doesn't give me a blue screen, or send an error report. It just boots out and closes down.

something isnt stable, so whatever you've overclocked you might want to put it at it's stock voltage to make sure that 3dmark05 will atleast run properly.

It is the RAM then... but if I lower the voltage then I get the blue screen saying that everything had to be shut down. So I guess this means the only thing left is to loosen my timings on my RAM then?

Well you need to make the voltaage HIGHER and not lower.

It's either the RAM, CPU, or GFX card having too high of a speed \ not enough voltage.

And it can also be a crappy power supply, you seem to have a generic one.

I do have a generic one, but when I check to see if it supplies all the voltage correctly (12, 5, and 3.3) it does.

Speed too high, voltage too low... I'll try to change something in that area and get back to you.

Okay... I increased the voltage to the CPU (from +5% to +8.3%) and the voltage to the RAM (from 1.65V to 1.7V). Now, I am somewhat worried to go much higher on either of these for this reason.

When I had the FSB set at 250, my RAM timings were 2.5-3-3-7 at 1T (with a 6:5 RAM ratio) with 1.6V and the CPU had +5% V. I increased it to 255 to try to get a better overclock. Everything seemed fine with a voltage increase on the RAM to 1.65V and the timings set to 2.5-3-3-8 at 2T (1T wouldn't let my computer start). Now when I increase it to 260, everything starts fine (with the +8.3% and 1.7V to the RAM) with timings of 2.5-4-4-8. However, when I run 3DMark05, it boots me out. That's it... just boots me out. No error box or anything. It just disappears like I never opened the program.

I'm going to try to change some voltages still and fool around a little bit with the RAM timings. Does anyone have any ideas?

what is your brand of RAM dude?

Until you fully know how to overclock you should consider keeping your RAM at DDR400 speeds and make sure your CPU is 100% stable by running prime95 12+ hours......then once you KNOW that's stable then start bringing up your RAM. It seems to be you're a bit inexperienced and still learning which of course is fine because we've all been there, but you can't just start OC'ing everything to the point of havoc being had and then trying to figure out what's wrong.

haha... point taken. You are right, I am still inexperienced... but can you believe about 2 months ago, I didn't even know how to really raise the FSB? I can get everything stabilized at 250 for the FSB just fine, and maybe I should be happy with that eh? Anyway, I am using GEIL Value series PC3200, and I did wonder if value shouldn't be overclocked, BUT I did a search on google and found all kinds of places that have overclocked it. One site did a review on it and they managed to get it to 255 MHz FSB with no problems. I just thought I'd try to see what I can do and learn from it all.

OC'ing RAM is a lot harder than CPU IMO....that's because with RAM there's all the timings plus voltage to mess around with whereas CPU it's simply bump up the voltage and you're ready to go. I don't know of GEIL being too good at OC'ing even with a 'high performance' series....especially with valueRAM that just really aint gonna go very far.

Once you know 100% your CPU is stable using Large In Place FFT's stress test in prime95 for +12 hours, THEN you can begin raising your RAM speed, adding voltage and loosening timings, however, I'd be careful because valueRAM will fry real easy compared to good OC'ing RAM.

You might look into getting these:

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820218062

They LOVE the voltage...you'd be safe with anything upwards of 3.4v as long as you had a fan blowing over them because yes RAM will get hot up at those volts and a fan is more than enough to keep it adequately cool.

Stock timings are nothing that great, 2.5-3-3-7 I believe, but feed them enough voltage and that 2.5-3-3-7 will get you up to some higher FSBs

Thanks for all the help! I'll look into getting that RAM. I currently put my FSB back to 250 and I have a stable system. I was just seeing what I could do. I don't think by any means I have a bad system and I NEED to overclock, but I wanted to experiment and see what was going on... although during this long process, I think I may have caused some problem to the hard drive and may need to reformat. Now, whenever I run 3DMark05, I make it through fine, but as it is loading, my hard drive makes a sound like a duck... haha. Oh well, the knowledge I gained was priceless I guess... besides, it isn't like I have anything of value saved in Word or anything yet... I don't start college for another month. Plenty of time to reformat. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom