can't access laptop hd's on network? Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdisney

Baseband Member
I have a 2003 server on the network. I from my office computer (win2k pro) or from the server I am unable to browse to my notebook hard drives. I have more than one notebook. They are mostly Dell Inspiron 1150 with WinXP Pro. I can see that they are on the network when you brows your network, there computer names show, but you click on them and I get a “network path not found” error. Same thing happens when I manually type in \\note\c$. Even though when you right click on the laptop’s hd and go to sharing and security, it says the HD is already shared for admin purposes. I have tried creating another share and just name it c and give “everyone” full permission. Still a nogo. I have even turned off the windows firewall. Any suggestions or dummy steps on how to fix this and be able to give at least admins access to laptop hd’s?

Thanks for all your help!
Jess
Jdisney@telco1.com

you do have admin rights to the machine right?
What groups are on the machine and are you part of any of them?
Have you checked your DNS settings and looked for duplicate records?
True using the IP in place of the name when trying to connect to the machine.
do the following to set. for example, Machine name is XPPro

ping XPPro
(resolves to IP 10.10.15.8)

NBTSTAT -A 10.10.15.8
(Resolves to WPPro2) <- not your machine...
This will indicate a DNS registration problem. There is something called scavaging that isn't working properly and should be configured to manage this. Takes about 2 days to get up and running...

if this isn't the case, let us know...

good luck

Yeah, I have admin rights to everything. I am apart of a specific domain and everyone is on it. When I go to ping XPPro, it times out. When I nbtstat i get "Local Area Connection: Node IpAddress: [10.0.0.142] Scope Id: [] Host not found." Scavaging?

You do have a DHCP server runing right? are your machines getting IP's? are you using statics? are you using DNS?

how is your network setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom