Upgrading from Office XP to Office 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

godai73

Baseband Member
I have a user who installed Adobe Acrobat Professional 6.0 onto her computer and now everytime she opens an Outlook email or any type of MS Document (Word, Excel, etc) she is receiving the message, 'Macro Visual Basic: The macros in this project are disabled. Please refer to the online help or documentation of the host application to determine how to enable macros.' I did a Google search and Adobe had a fix for this know problem with Office XP, but it did not work. I would like to upgrade her to Office 2003 to see if that fixes the issue. My question is, would it be better to uninstall Office XP first, then install Office 2003 or can I just install Office 2003 and will will remember the Office XP settings and keep her Outlook Archive files and other information of that nature? Thanks.

I have always uninstalled Office then installed the newer version but I have never had a problem with upgrading to a newer version either.

Ive heard of a lot of problems with upgrading from XP to 2003. Like Warez said, just uninstall Office XP and then install 2003.

Cool, thanks guys. I will play it safe and uninstall Office XP first, then install Office 2003.

Nah, you should be able to just upgrade it.

BTW, did you read the documentation that the error message pointed out? Did you go have a look at your macros? Have you tried removing the Adobe macro and re-adding it?

Deal with the problem thoroughly first.

The problem is in the addin for Office that adobe gives you. You know, the convert to PDF function. You don't have to do anything but repair acrobat. They are all built on MSI technology so it's not a problem to simply repair the application through add remove programs.
Playing it safe is a load of crap you guys. Don't fall victim to a simple minded approach when there are ways to do things that work. If you never have a problem, the day you do, you will hate life. Deal with the problem, and don't take the approach of REBUILD\REINSTALL\... it's like your 4 and don't know how to deal with it, so you through it away. Give over and grow up!
for once I agree with Shoobie... wow strange days... ;)

So you are saying its ok to install sp2 on an old pc than to do it on a fresh install? Either way you do it, they both work. Upgrading to sp2 might give most people problems, but on a clean install, it wont. Same difference with office. It's basically up to you.

if you rebuild to install something then you have some serious issues.
The most common approach used today by most (and I work in IT) technicians is to rebuild a machine if it has a problem. The issue may be cleared and you get the use back up, but you never figure out what caused the problem, so you have to do the same thing again if the problem comes back. Fix the problem once, and you don't ahve to troubleshoot it again, you already know the fix. if we don't deal with the problem, we always have to rebuild. It's a useles tactic that really pisses me off. The only time I have rebuilt a machine in the last 2 years was due to another technician using a Linux tool to try and fix a file on an NTFS drive. This cause a major issue with the FS and I couldn't get the system back to a full operating state again.
I never rebuild to make life easier. It's more of a headache backing up data so I can rebuild a machine, than it is to simple fix the problem. besides I like looking for the fix.
shame on you if you want to rebuild cause it seems easier. the easy road is not always the right one...
sorry for the preaching, but I'm tired of seeing rebuild/reinstall all over the place. It's not the solution.

Warez Monster said:
So you are saying its ok to install sp2 on an old pc than to do it on a fresh install? Either way you do it, they both work. Upgrading to sp2 might give most people problems, but on a clean install, it wont. Same difference with office. It's basically up to you.
Correction: Upgrading to SP2 on a prepared machine causes very few people problems.

Also, I thought this was about upgrading OFFICE, not XP.

And as I said above in my original post, he's got an add-in problem. He needs to check that out first. He can also just straight out upgrade Office-XP to Office-2003.

The macro is pointing to PDFMaker.dot. On Adobe's website, they provided instructions to run a Repair for the Adobe, but that did not fix the problem. I proceeded to follow their other instructions to rename the PDFMaker.dot, PDFMaker.xla, and PDFMaker.ppa to an extension of '.old', but that did not fix the probem either. This is why I was thinking of upgrading Office 2003 to see if it fixes the problem. Do you guys have any other suggestions? Microsoft's solution is to go to Adobe's website, so that was not much of a help. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom