Problems booting from disc to install XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuddy

Solid State Member
First off, I'm new around here, so hi to everyone. :)

I just finished building my new computer and I'm trying to install Windows XP Pro but at startup I get "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter". The XP startup CD is in the drive and I pressed enter but I keep getting this error message, and the same happened when I used a boot floppy. I don't know what to do next and I was hoping that you guys could help me out on that one.

I've tried swapping CD ROM's, trying a new disk, and the BIOS is set correctly. I've also tried making some boot floppies, which didn't work either.

I'd be very grateful for any help. Thanks a lot in advance. :)

Spuddy

What did you set in the BIOS? You should have changed the boot priority. It sounds like the system is trying to boot off of the blank hard disk.

BTW, welcome to TF :D

Thanks for the welcome. :)

The BIOS is set to booting from the CDROM, then the HDD.

Is your CD-ROM recognized properly? It not being recognized could be causing troubles for you as well.

It shows as a detected IDE drive when I boot. I've tried loads of stuff to try and help this problem, but I just feel I'm getting no where. :(

I'm not so sure on this solution but it could be worth a try.
Make sure your wires that connect to the cd rom and the floppy are not switched around. If they are they might be reconized but not in working order. (i doubt it but you never know)

Sorry that wasn't much of a help...

I double checked the cables, and they're all in the right places. Is there no hope? :(

If os is installed you don't need to boot from cd just hard drive first. if os is not installed then you have to format new hard drive first then boot from cd first then hd,after install boot hd first. hope this helps.

Hi, just a quick note to say that this problem is now fixed. I changed over the CD drive once more, and voila! Windows installed perfectly. Thanks for all the advice! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom