Computer suddenly shuts off and won't boot back up for hours!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny916

Solid State Member
Hi, I got a computer I custom built it about a year ago and everything worked fine until a couple weeks ago.

When running random applications the computer will sometimes just completely shut off and when I try to boot the computer back up it doesn't even want to boot to the bios!? It just turns on for a second then shuts back down. But wait, after about 2-3+ hours later it will boot up again!? I'm thinking it could be a heat issue? But where?

If someone out there could please help I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks..
John..

I figured out it has something to do with the CPU fan.

It's not coming on! Even after I replaced it with a known good. one. I can boot into the bios but that's it.
Tried clearing my cmos. Doesn't work.
What now?

Check your power supply is working and that all fans are going when it starts. You said it happens when you start an application when it is under load. Check temperatures in BIOS ;)

i agree with z3phyr04.. check ur ps.. i would say it would be ur ps most def, cuz i had the same problem.. wouldnt hurt to go out and get another powersupply to try it out.. or borrow your friends ps.

Ok I was able to get the CPU fan running by plugging it into the chipset fan connectors.. It was 3-pin as well so the CPU fan/heatsink plugged right in. But I'm wondering how safe that solution is going to be?? I checked the PC health status in the bios and the temp of the CPU is around 41 degree's F I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom