Cooling mosfets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye, I might rig up some sinks on some other parts on the board. I'm also sort of concerned with the chipset, the 6800GT literally comes within millimetres of the chipset fan and especially if I resort to upping the chip voltage it might get a bit hot and aftermarket cooling ain't really an option.

Can't believe I'm so obsessive over this crap already even though I haven't even done anything yet. :(

Side note - I've been offered a demo 6600GT for 100 bucks from some dude I know who works at a store, I'm thinking of taking it to play around with, whatdya think?

You'll just wind up like me gaara and yearning for even more power :p It is a good deal for $100, but man the 6800GT is awesome, that's why I upgraded :p

Also I wouldn't worry about the chipset dude, it doesn't get hot like the socket A systems did when adding voltage and chances are you might not even have to add voltage. Check out some more of the peoples high ass OC's at xtremesys and you'll see they don't play around with the chipset voltage very much, and due to the position of that heatsink it's basically impossible to put on a good after market heatsink because of size reasons. The one there is already good.

Also concerning heatsinks, the only ones that have a tendency to create negative effects is the RAM heatspreaders in some instances....although these new heatsinks are huge they are infact effective, otherwise they wouldn't be so widely used as awesome air cooling solutions......zalman is an exception because relative to the amount of copper it's pretty small, it's just really wide.

When it comes to mosfets though the heatsinks absolutely work 100%, no negative impact at all as those damn things can get HOT as hell.....I'd suggest either some AS5 in the middle with super glue on the sides like I did with my teakmonters or thermal epoxy...because thermal tape kills performance.

Yeah, I'm gonna adjust the BIOS settings so the fans running full blast 24/7 since it's nice and quiet, and heatsink seems good enough to cool down the chip anyways, just having the video card THAT close to something whirry away is something I wouldn't mind avoiding. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom