Building first computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

crab0000

Beta member
So, here is a list of all the stuff I have ordered. Does everything look good? We currently have a computer running, so I will use the keyboard etc. from it. The main thing we want is a fast stable computer capable of playing some games without breaking the bank.
AMD Athlon XP 2700+ 2.167GHz 333FSB

Abit NF7-S nForce2 Athlon(XP)/Duron SktA DDR ATX Motherboard w/Audio, LAN, Serial ATA

Antec Performance II Series SX835II Workstation Case

2xKingston KVR400X64C25/256 256MB DDR400 PC3200 CL2.5

IBM Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 120GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer

So what do you think?
Steve

looks great, doesnt look that costy aswell, altho why would u get x2 256mb memory? why not a stick of 512

It was about the same cost for two of the 256's as one 512. I am a complete newb when it comes to this stuff. Would it make a difference to have one 512 as compared to two 256's?
Steve

none, other than the fact that if you have one stick of 512mb you have more slots avaliable for upgrade later on.

On the other hand, two sticks of 256mb has the advantage that if you suspect a memory problem later on, you can just test your computer using one stick at a time. Hopefully this will never happen ;)

oh, and good setup! Pretty good performance without being too pricy.. :)

on closer inspection I see that you have three slots for memory, which leaves you one for upgrade.

Will my CPU come with thermal compound? It says it come with fan and heatsink, I didn't know if this was included or not.
Steve

most hsf come with thermal compound. Though not always. thermal compound will cost you about 2-5$ us.

With regards to heating compound, in most cases, applying too much defeats the purpose as the heat will be caught in the lower layers and stay there. A thin coat will suck up the heat which will then be dissipated by your fan.

I think having 2 256 is better then having one 512. I think that helps with the FSB, running in pairs. I might be wrong, but that's what my mobo manuel said.

Also, just make sure that you have no conflicts in the maker of the memory that you chose. Some Nforce2 boards can only use specific types of chips. I know Samsung chips (used by Kenningston) are always a safe choice.

Some good advice from Lostman. I had some conflicts with my memory which I didn't realize until I tried to install an agp-card. In the beginning all was well, except for some occasional blue-screens, so I thought that was proof that there was nothing wrong with the memory.

If you're not sure if your memory is completely compatible, run a memory test when you have assembled your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom