windows slow down

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Fully Optimized
I was asked to try to solve a problem on a friend's pc. It is a windows xp machine, a gateway 2ghz inel with only 128mb of ram. I know M$ requires atleast 256mb, and 512 is recomened. But could this be contributed to the computer becomng slower in the recent past? The machine is clean of virus, spyware and anything else. Those programs are updated and run once a week.

The CPU useage idels at 10% used, while the ram is at 65% used when ideling. 10gbs are used out of 40gbs available.

If the computer is left ideling for an hour windows will pop up a message window telling me that there is insufficent memory, and some programs will not be able to open because of this.

What should I do to solve this? I know I should upgrade the ram to atleast 256, maybe even 512. But what are some software solutions?

Thanks.

How large is the page file? Windows shouldnt be telling you that there is insufficient memory as long as the page file is big enough. The computer across from me is actually using 128MB and is running XP, and it does ok.

Elbatrop1 said:
How large is the page file? Windows shouldnt be telling you that there is insufficient memory as long as the page file is big enough. The computer across from me is actually using 128MB and is running XP, and it does ok.

.... I don't see how.... ???? No problem at all?? Not even slow??

Hardware: defitnly upgrade the RAM as you said.. atleast to 512
software: for what?!?

1. he could try linux!
2. he can turn off the graphic b/s that is on
3. he could end the processes he does not need

right click "my computer">properties>advanced tab>performance button>advanced tab>change button (for virtual memory)>>>

Then click the partition that has the page file already. click the custom radio button, make the intitial and maximum size the same (around 500MB). Click set. It will prompt you to restart.

WARNING:
When you make a large Page File with a small amount of RAM, the Hard drive gets used a lot more. Since the hard drive is a mechanical device, it is prone to wear and tear moreso than any other computer part. Use caution when making a large page file to compensate for a small amount of RAM. This should only be used as a temporary fix.

buy more ram. as soon as you install a firewall and a/v to xp 128 mb is pretty much used up.

sad and true eric, however i do suggest taking off the fancy graphics, they are over rated and not needed.

What is the recomened paging file size for any set up? Does it differ based on the physical memory you have in your system? I looked and this pc has 188mb for the paging file. Should this figure be changed when it is upgraded to 512mb of ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom