What's wrong with my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerfootball05

In Runtime
I recently built the computer in my sig and it worked fine. The only problem i had was that it took longer than usual to load games from the intro screen. So i reinstalled windows and repartitioned my HD (which i needed to do anyways) and since then there have been more problems.
1. I cannot install C&C Generals for some reason. It worked perfectly before the windows reinstall but now whenever i begin installing, that program freezes.
2. Valve for HL2 won't connect even though i'm connected to the internet. I can install it ok but when the auto-run pops up, i cannot play HL2 or do anything else on the auto-run list.
3. Windows task manager does not open. I press ctrl+alt+del and it comes up for a millisecond and then goes away.

I have resent my computer about 8 times today and im getting really frustrated so PLEASE give me some help.

did that power supply come yet?

if your computer is underpowered for some reason, many things might not function properly

Windows task manager does not open. I press ctrl+alt+del and it comes up for a millisecond and then goes away.

That right there tells me that you are infected.

Since you seem comfortable with reinstalling, etc, you should do just that. But before you do, download the latest ZoneAlarm (or whatever software firewall you like) and the latest AVG (or, whatever scanner you like).

When installing windows, keep your computer unplugged from the internet. When Windows installation is done, install your firewall and scanner. Then, you can plug your computer in and then download windows updates, etc.

Once the above it done, you can go ahead and install you games, drivers, and whatnot.

haha, you might be able to use adaware, etc. Give it a try. If it doesnt work, you know what to do:D

tigerfootball05 said:

3. Windows task manager does not open. I press ctrl+alt+del and it comes up for a millisecond and then goes away.

I had the same problem at one time actually. It was some virus or something. I just used system restore and that fixed it... but if you don't know when it happened, you may have to do some searching. You can probably find something to delete the virus or whatever is causing your problem, but since you haven't done that much yet, you would be better off reformatting and reinstalling. It is a pain, but if you reinstall and everything, you'll know you have NOTHING wrong... but I guess it is up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom